question about deep wells and pressure loss

Old 03-11-09, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
question about deep wells and pressure loss

I finally got my deep well primed. It is a 1.5" 80 ft deep well with a 40 ft drop pipe. It has a single drop pipe with the injector at the top of the drop pipe. My water table is about 16 feet. I have a 1hp myers covertible pump, and a 30 gal pressure tank that is precharged to 32psi. My pump occasionally kicks on to build up pressure, because the system somehow looses a little pressure very slowly. A local well contractor told me that this is normal, and all deep wells loose some pressure and the need to have electricity turned on at all times so they don't loose their prime. What are yalls thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-09, 03:17 PM
Not normal, pressure is leaving the system, either into the house or back down the well.
Closing the valve at the tank (if there is one), will determine which way it is going.

Old 03-11-09, 03:43 PM
it is an irrigation well, and the only place the pressure could be going is back down in the well. It not a major amount of pressure, but enough to make the pump kick on every once in a while to charge back up.

Old 03-12-09, 06:22 AM
Vey
I'm going to guess slow leak in the check valve. The pressure tank and switch is keeping your prime. Irrigation wells don't need pressure tanks because in general when they are turned on for use they use a lot more water than what a pressure tank will hold.

For example, I'll bet you use more than 20 or so gallons of water (about half of the volume of a pressure tank is air) when the sprinklers come on and when you do, the pump runs continuously until you stop using water (or it should anyway, if it doesn't than you are really putting wear on the pump). So why have a tank? All it does is delay the pump from coming on for a few minutes, then has the pump run the same amount of time at the end. If you use the same pump to wash the car, then it makes sense to have a tank since that is an on-off demand thing.

But in your case, the tank is hiding the real problem from you. If you didn't have that tank and switch, then the water would slowly leak down in the well until you lost prime. As it is, the pressure switch is catching the leak, then turning the pump on before prime is completely lost and repriming it quickly.

As long as the pump doesn't come on much, then there isn't much to worry about until it gets worse. If the check valve is handy then you could change it, but if it is down the hole, that's a lot of work. When you replace it, don't get cheap and use one of those PVC valves. They don't last very long.

Old 03-12-09, 10:40 AM
The check valve was brand new last year. It is brass and attached to the bottom of the pvc drop pipe. It has become evident to me that my pump/well is NOT losing WATER but IS losing PRESSURE. Does this make sense to anyone here because it doesn't to me.

Old 03-12-09, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by graysilm View Post
The check valve was brand new last year. It is brass and attached to the bottom of the pvc drop pipe. It has become evident to me that my pump/well is NOT losing WATER but IS losing PRESSURE. Does this make sense to anyone here because it doesn't to me.
What makes you think that? If it's true, it doesn't make any sense to this casual observer either. How old is the tank? It could be leaking air somewhere if old and corroded. A spray bottle filled with soapy water is a good way to find air leaks.

Do you have a pitless adapter and is it sealing properly?