Sump Pump In Basement

Old 04-01-09, 12:44 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump Pump In Basement

I have flooding in my basement and have identified that installing a sump pump is the best course of action. As far as where to locate the pit, the lowest part of my basement is where the drain already exists. Is it possible to locate the pit in this area and just have the drain connect to the pit somehow? I am a little confused as to where this drain even goes to or how it works as it is well below the main line hookup. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-09, 05:16 PM
P
Where does the water seem to be comming from? Does it flow towards this drain but the drain can't handle it?

Old 04-02-09, 10:33 AM
J
The water is definitely coming up from cracks in the floor and there is also a hole in some mortar in the wall that needs to be fixed. The basement only floods when it rains so I defnitely have some drainage issues. I will be installing guttering on the house and probably need to improve the grading around the house. I am guessing that the drain can't handle it. I have previously used a drill auger on this drain and it seemed to drain for a bit but this has since stopped.

Old 04-02-09, 03:38 PM
P
I have seen on older homes without a drain tile system where they have installed a pit and drilled a series of holes in the side and bottom to allow the water in. I guess all you could do is try and see how it works. You could consult with a basement waterproofer and get an estimate which is usually free. Around here they dig up the floor where the walls and floor meet all around the inside perimeter of the basement and install a drain tile system which then goes to the sump pit-not a cheap option though. Getting the water away from your home should help.