Pump pressure switch low pressure cutout question

Old 04-19-09, 04:55 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pump pressure switch low pressure cutout question

Hi,
Hoping one of the water pump/well experts can advise me on this...
Situation - External 1000 gal cistern tank filled with water from deep well pump on Coyote system with submersible shallow well jet pump to house (two separate pumps) - distance of about 30 ft. from holding tank to inside pressure tank . Three years ago I replaced the inside tank (40 gal w/pre-filled bladder), new pressure switch and water pressure gauge.
Last night, no water pressure; looked at pressure gauge - read 0 lbs pressure and absolutely no water from faucet. Checked holding tank outside - completely filled. Lifted up on Low-pressure reset lever on side of pressure switch and immediately the guage went to 30lbs pressure (normal cut-in setting) and pump ran up till pressure cut-off level reached at 50 lbs pressure.
Case solved, right? Wrong! Today it's happened a couple of more times both times appearing as there was absolutely no pressure on the guage (and no water at the faucets) and on lifting up reset lever - immediately registers 30 lbs cut-in pressure - and water service to faucets immediately restored - no delay in building up water pressure.

A few years ago, we actually experienced running out of water in the external cistern one particularly hot summer. After some time when the water was sufficiently restored from the deep well to the cistern, I had to hold the reset lever on the switch for a time until the pressure was restored -- it did not go immediately reach 30 lbs until it built up.
So what is the problem - is it with the pressure switch or the foot-valve. To me, it doesn't make sense that if the foot-valve failed that I would immediately be registering 30 lbs water pressure as soon as I lift up on pressure switch reset lever.
On the other hand, why is loss of water pressure so complete when this occurs -- and it can occur at any time whether the pump has been actively cycling immediately before a loss of pressure or just sitting? Doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks for your insights,
Greynold99

Old 04-20-09, 05:26 AM
V
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have too much air pressure in the tank. It should read no more than 28 PSI. If the air pressure increased by itself, then the bladder in the tank is bad. Water then gets on top of the bladder and causes the precharge pressure to continue to increase.

Old 04-20-09, 11:10 AM
G
Reply to ValveGuy

I hadn't thought of the bladder pressure. I did check it in December and actually had to add a couple of pounds (air) to get to 28 psi.
I'll check tonight.
Thanks,
Greynold99

Old 04-24-09, 11:43 AM
G
Update on pump and tank bladder pressure

The bladder pressure on the tank was fine and in fact, we've experienced no more issues with sudden water pressure loss.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if maybe there was another issue going on like some type of blockage being encountered. For example, I have 1 1/4" plastic (I think) coming in from the cistern/jet-pump and after it transitions to 1" brass, I have a gate-valve before it hits the pressure-gauge and pressure switch.

Given the sudden, complete loss of water pressure (pressure gauge reads ZERO) and on lifting the pressure switch reset lever, the just as-sudden restore of pressure to 30#'s kick-in - does it seem reasonable that something was blocking the pressure, maybe at the plastic/metal transition and gate valve? I'm just guessing because I don't really have any other explanation.
Thanks,
Greynold99

Old 04-24-09, 12:58 PM
Is there maybe a small tube going to the pressure switch?
If there is it may be partially plugged.

Just a thought

Travis

Old 05-06-09, 10:50 AM
G
Reply to WaterWellDude

Since my last post, the complete loss of water pressure has occurred 3 times in little more than a week... Each time we just lift the reset-lever on the side of the pressure switch and it restores normal water pressure/flow.
I haven't taken the pressure switch off and cleaned the little brass 5/16" or 3/8" tube I believe WaterWellDude was referring to but I'm probably going to have to do that next to eliminate that as a cause. It's only been in service 3 years, so I'm having a little problem thinking that's the problem here... when I replaced the pressure tank after 10 years the tube was only half-blocked then.

What I don't know is how the shallow jet pump is setup in the concrete cistern and expecially how the foot-valve for the feed-pipe is situated for the jet pump. I'm starting to wonder if the sediment buildup in the cistern after 13 years may be starting to interfere with the foot-valve's operation. Although, I don't believe I'm seeing any sign of additional or more sediment in the pre-filter or in the water when the pump is reset -- it's just as clear as it usually is and you'd think you'd see some signs of murky water if that was the case.
Thanks for your insights.
Greynold99

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: