pump not turning on

Old 05-30-09, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pump not turning on

I brought a new deep well pump, but when I installed it, it was turning on and off. Not giving time for the water to come up. I found out that my pressure tank had a pin hole in it and couldn't hold pressure. I turned off breaker for the pump and brought a new pressure tank, but now the pump is not turning on at all. Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong. I have checked to make sure the wires are still connected, and all are connected. Only thing I know that is different is the new pressure tank.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-09, 05:49 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
did you turn the breaker back on?

do you have power to your pressure switch?

Do you have a control box? Is power getting to that?

Is the pressure control switch closing to run power to the control box or the pump (whichever is applicable)?

Old 05-31-09, 06:02 AM
answers to questions

yes I turned breaker back on.
I do not have a control box. Power is going directly to the pressure switch on pump. That is the way the pump instructions said to do it.I do not know what is going on, nothing has changed other than the new pressure tank. Would it make a difference in the amount of pressure is in the tank, such as pressure in tank is too high? I know when it doesn't have enough pressure pump turns off and on.

Old 05-31-09, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by mommy8 View Post
yes I turned breaker back on.
I do not have a control box. Power is going directly to the pressure switch on pump. That is the way the pump instructions said to do it.I do not know what is going on, nothing has changed other than the new pressure tank. Would it make a difference in the amount of pressure is in the tank, such as pressure in tank is too high? I know when it doesn't have enough pressure pump turns off and on.
Yes. If, for whatever reason, the tank pressure is higher than your switch cutoff setting, the contacts won't close and the pump won't run. Did you pressurize the tank according to the "Waterlogged" sticky at the top of this page?

Old 05-31-09, 04:20 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
simple open a valve in the house or outside or whatever and turn the pump on. The tank will not cause the pump to not run because there will be no pressure in the lines to shut the pressure switch off.

you can also let air out of the tank to lower the pressure in the tank to below the cut in pressure. It won't run right but right now we are working on simply getting it running.

so, do you have some sort of voltmeter? If not, it would be great to get one.

You need to check for voltage at the pressure switch. I am presuming this is a 240 volt motor, yes? If so, there will be 4 terminal screws with wires on them in the pressure switch.

Most look about like this

http://www.catskillhouse.us/blog/wp-...tch-wiring.jpg

If you look at your switch from the same perspective, lets label the terminals from the left to right 1,2,3,4

so, to check voltage, measure using one probe on #1 and #3. If no voltage check #2 to #4. depending on if the person that wired this used which set of terminals for line (in) and load (out) it could be either of those. Actually it could be #1 and #4 and then #2 and #3. but that is a goofy way of doing it. just make sure you are checking 1 terminal on the left and 1 on the right, whichever the wire from the same direction is coming from.

anyway, you should have voltage one way or the other.

If not, then you do not have the power turned on.

turn on the power.

presuming you do have voltage on one set of terminal, check the other pair. If you have voltage, the pump should be running. If it isn;t, you have a problem either with the electrical to the pump or the pump itself or there is no water in your well.

if you do not have voltage on the second pair, make sure there is no pressure in the lines by opening a faucet valve and relieving pressure. If nothing happens then, turn off the electrical power and check continuity from terminal 1 to 2 and 3 to 4. With no pressure in the line, you should have 0 ohms resistance, or very close. If there is "infinate" resistance, that means the switch is open.

now, here is an official fix:

tap the side of the bottom plate with something like a small hammer or anything hard but not too heavy. Check continuity again. If still no continuity, hit is a bit harder.

One question before you start whacking away:

did you mess with the pressure screws?

if so, back way up and let us know and you may have simply turned the switch so it will not close.