How do I determine the depth of my well?

Old 07-05-09, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I determine the depth of my well?

I would like to determine the depth of my well so that I can go about adding chlorine intelligently.

Is there an easy way for a homeowner to do this?

I read something about using fishing line and a weight at the end as being the most economical...but I just have the feeling that I wouldn't know when the weight hit the bottom etc.

I know it might sound stupid, but my senses aren't very good. I would probably be wondering whether or not the weight had hit the bottom etc.

Could you expand on this technique, or tell me another one that is affordable and/or easy?

Like a digital/laser tape measure etc?

Thank you for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-09, 05:36 AM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
You may get lucky and find it stamped on the inside of the well cover.

Bud

Old 07-06-09, 04:37 PM
The best and most accurate way of finding the depth, is to have the well pulled and the well guy measure it.
He would be able to tell you the depth to the water and the total depth of the well.

Travis

Old 07-06-09, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
If you put a heavy weight on your fishing line (1oz maybe) you will know when you hit bottom because the line will be tight until you hit bottom. When you hit bottom the line will then go limp.

This will not tell you how far your water is though unless you tied something like yarn to the line every foot.

Old 07-06-09, 07:15 PM
Vey
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
If you put a heavy weight on your fishing line (1oz maybe) you will know when you hit bottom because the line will be tight until you hit bottom. When you hit bottom the line will then go limp.

This will not tell you how far your water is though unless you tied something like yarn to the line every foot.
What happens if he has a submersible pump and he hits a torque arrestor?

Old 09-20-09, 04:40 PM
I know this is a late repost, but I haven't been able to get the well cover off to try and figure it out until recently.

These are my observations:

1) There is no depth stamped on the cover.

2) The well is 2 feet in diameter (everything that I have ever read specifies that this usually is a shallow well...) I believed that until....

3) I bought a 100 foot tape and it still kept going when it was totally unraveled at 100 feet.

Is it likely to have a 2 foot diameter well that is not a shallow one?

Thanks!

Old 09-20-09, 05:02 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
The problem might be the weight of the tape. By the time you get 50 feet out, you may not be able to tell when it hits bottom, thus the fishing line as suggested. And no I have never seen a 2 ft well go down 100' but that's not to say it couldn't. In any case, you will have a good reserve of water. Try the fish line and let us know.

Bud

Old 09-20-09, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
The problem might be the weight of the tape. By the time you get 50 feet out, you may not be able to tell when it hits bottom, thus the fishing line as suggested. And no I have never seen a 2 ft well go down 100' but that's not to say it couldn't. In any case, you will have a good reserve of water. Try the fish line and let us know.

Bud
I will try that or maybe it's time to have a friendly well guy come by and take a look. Of course, I will look over his shoulder so he doesn't break anything!

Thanks!

Old 09-21-09, 06:57 PM
Vey
You don't need a well guy.
Just a decent weight.