Sulphur dioxide in well water

Old 07-14-09, 11:44 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sulphur dioxide in well water

My well water has the foul smell of sulpher in both hot and cold running water. The water is also quite yellow. Is there anything i can do do get rid of the smell? I have a sand point well.

LacLyons

Old 07-14-09, 12:54 PM
Odor In Well

The only answer to your prob. is to get the water tested. Depending where you live, a lot of plumbing supplies and well outfits may test it for free, luck.

Old 07-14-09, 02:23 PM
V
Vey
"a lot of plumbing supplies and well outfits may test it for free"

Those are the ones you don't want. They want to sell you something. You probably do need something, but you want an accurate idea of what you need, not what some shady salesman thinks you "need." So pay a few bucks up front for a real test from a certified lab and save thousands later.

Contact your state or county health department and they will steer you towards the right labs.

There are all sorts of ways of dealing with sulphur water. Sometimes a simple cabon filter will do the trick. Try getting a small cheap one first before springing for a whole house filter only to find out it doesn't work.

Aeration, hydrogen peroxide and chlorination are other common methods.

Old 07-15-09, 03:58 AM
P
We have used a carbon filter in our house for years with success for that problem. We have to change it every 1-2 mo. depending on water usage. When the water starts to smell-change it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: