Septic/Well high occupancy house

Old 07-26-09, 02:49 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic/Well high occupancy house

I am considering purchasing a house, but I'm not sure if a septic/well system will be up to the task with 15 people living there. It is a large home with numerous additions.

Is there a limit to the number of people for a given septic system? Well too?
Are newer systems able to handle more people?
If I empty say (4) times a year, can the system handle more people?

Old 07-26-09, 03:22 PM
V
Vey
For that many people, you would need a much larger septic tank and drain field than most older houses were built with. In fact, even if you changed nothing from the original house, septic drainfields are much bigger than they were 30 years ago because the science and experience has improved and bigger is now required.

I would assume that a replacement would be in order, no matter which house you choose if it is on septic and figure it into the cost when comparing houses.

There are formulas to figure this out. The best way is to call up the local "septic man" working for the county or town where the house is located and ask. It is usually based on bedrooms and number of residents. Just call up the local building department or health department and ask to talk to the man that issues permits for septic tanks. Try not to get too specific as to what house, speak generically and this will also help if you choose a different house, or put city sewer on your "must-have" list.

If you want to get confused by doing it yourself (realizing that the formulas vary from state-to-state, locality-to-locality and not knowing your percolation rate), you can read plenty starting here:

Oh, and pumping out often would get the attention of the septic man anyway since the companies are required to file reports as to what and where they do what. They do that looking for systems that are failing as yours would if you over taxed it.

Old 07-27-09, 03:14 PM
Septic+Well

Keep in mind that most areas have laws about how many people can live in a dwelling..

Old 07-28-09, 03:41 PM
L
Thank you very much!

Thank you very much Vey & Shacko. I think I just have to "put city sewer on my must-have' list".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: