Septic System Question

Old 10-15-09, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic System Question

Hello,

Have the typical septic system with a "chamber" that feeds several perforated pipes in a leaching field. Believe the pipes are nestled in gravel, and covered with soil.

These pipes with the holes are, I believe, clogged.
Or, the gravel and surrounding soil are "clogged".

Question:

Before I call anyone in:

a. Are there treatments, or perhaps steam-cleaning for the perforated pipes that is effective ?

b. Are there treatments or steam cleaning for the gravel and/or surrounding soil ?

Are any of these doable without removing any over-soil ?

e.g. just a steam probe inserted thru the main feeder pipe to the field, or... ?

I keep thinking of steam, as it's hard to believe anything else might work.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-09, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 184 Posts
There are treatments you can put in to help your septic system but they are more a preventative and even then there is much debate whether or not they actually work or are just snake oil. Additives certainly will not help if the system is already clogged.

There are companies that specialize in rejuvenating drain fields but it is a specialized (not cheap) process. First thing I would do is find a good septic service and have them pump your tank and possibly jet out the lines that they can reach. They should be able to tell you if it is as simple as the line from the tank being crushed.

Here is my usual speach about grease & oil:
If you have not had your tank pumped in a long time and you use a lot of grease and oil in the house for cooking it could be bad. Pouring grease and oil down the drain will quickly kill a system. Even if you don't pour grease or oil down the drain what you wash off pots, pans & dishes can add up over time and clogg the system.

Old 10-16-09, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Before you spend any money, lets try and identify the problem, you think the drain field may be blocked or partially blocked. Why?