Locating Sump Pump

Old 10-19-09, 08:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Locating Sump Pump

I am in Marin CA and we have a single family home on one level with a crawl space.
Thew crawl space floods during rain (which is not too often) and I think we really need a sump pump to help it dry out quickly.
I have a route to the street for the sump pump output so that is not the problem.

My main question is whether to locate the pump at the lowest point in the crawl space where the sewer line exits the property through the perimeter foundation line. There is a natural grade down to this lowest point.

Or should I put the pump out side the foundation at this point?

I was wondering if I have it inside will it just draw water from outside in aswell?? Outside will it just be too ineffective at clearing the crawl space?

The front yard has a slight grade to the sidewalk. But after rain the water is nearly jetting out of gaps in the drive as the water back up behind the sidewalk.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Old 10-20-09, 03:54 AM
P
I think I would be more concerned about keeping the inside dry. Are you going to put a pit in this location and just have the water run in from the top? You could drill some holes around the outside of the pit and collect some ground water as well. When it comes to pit size, bigger is better-pump runs less often.

Old 10-20-09, 04:51 AM
S
Originally Posted by dmayhem View Post
I was wondering if I have it inside will it just draw water from outside in aswell?? Outside will it just be too ineffective at clearing the crawl space?
Agreed, if your pump inside ever starts drawing water from the outside; you have more problems than one pump can solve. Two other ideal situations beyond the most important that pumpman mentioned (sump size).

1) Place your pump off of the bottom of the sump if possible

2) Do some research in terms of silicon or tungsten carbide mechanical seals in the unit you purchase. Ground water is inevitably abrasive by nature of the sediment it carries and a good seal can save you headaches/money on down the line if this is an issue.

Old 10-20-09, 06:19 AM
D
Originally Posted by pumpguy View Post
I think I would be more concerned about keeping the inside dry. Are you going to put a pit in this location and just have the water run in from the top? You could drill some holes around the outside of the pit and collect some ground water as well. When it comes to pit size, bigger is better-pump runs less often.
I am planning to dig a pit to line with some gravel and then the sump. Probably a bought plastic one rather than trying to make up my own.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: