Sump Pump humming need to manually start spin

Old 11-19-09, 07:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump Pump humming need to manually start spin

Hi,

I have a Diamond Cast Iron Sump Pump - 4680 GPH, 1/2HP.

When I plug it in it hums. I've taken off the bottom and ensured that the impeller can spin freely. Plugging the unit it with the base removed results in the sump humming. Manually pushing the impeller results in the impeller spinning as it should.

I've remove the impeller but that doesn't appear to be the problem it appears to be the impeller shaft that is not spinning without me giving it a finger start.

I have been rather hard on the unit - letting it run dry for a while and pumping out silty water.

Ideas?

Joel

Old 11-19-09, 08:06 PM
V
Vey
"it appears to be the impeller shaft that is not spinning without me giving it a finger start."

Needs rebuilding. New pump bearings. You seem smart enough and it's not a hard job. Just get a kit from the pump manufacturer. Call them up and ask. Happens all the time.

Old 11-20-09, 03:43 PM
P
I see this alot, I've found it's usually the capacitor causing the problem when you have to give it help to start, and then it runs normally. It can be other things also. Some pumps you can get parts for and others not. If the pump is more than about 5 yrs. old I would probably invest in a new one.

Old 11-20-09, 07:56 PM
S
I agree with pump guy here. If you spend $50 on parts and shipping and it ends up not fixing the problem then what? If you go to Home Depot I think the Rigid series still offers a lifetime warranty and the price is actually pretty competitive with some of the cheaper models.

If you are a tinkerer maybe fix the old one for a spare to install when driving to a local HD to exchange the Rigid for a brand new one when it fails. I'm a tinkerer and work in the plumbing industry and have never wasted my time trying to rebuild a sump pump that failed.

Old 11-21-09, 07:48 AM
B
Try to avoid the "big box" brands..get a zoeller, hydromatic, etc...Lifetime warranties on the big box brands dont ensure quality.

Old 11-23-09, 11:24 AM
J
Thank you.

Thanks for all the advice !

Old 11-23-09, 02:19 PM
S
Originally Posted by bubb1957 View Post
Try to avoid the "big box" brands..get a zoeller, hydromatic, etc...Lifetime warranties on the big box brands dont ensure quality.
Well maybe not the "best quality" but as a DIY I don't really worry about the best quality if the company will stand behind their lifetime warranty. If you want to pay the same or even more for a "best quality" product and have to buy a new one every 8 years that's up to you. I would rather buy a quality product with a lifetime warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: