Will This Work?????

Old 11-30-09, 06:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will This Work?????

FACT my pressure tank is bad. it is in the ground by my well. the water pipe from the well goes up into the crawl space and into the house. i would like to remove the old tank and cap the pipe to the pressure tank go into the crawl space cut the supply line put a T in and run a hose to my new pressure tank that is 50ft away from where i made the splice. will this work???? i know i need to run electric wire but will the tank work normaly

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-09, 08:31 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums.

You can put the tank anywhere you like, as long as the tank is the first thing the pipe from the well sees.(assuming you have a bladder tank)
The 'T' you want to put in line can cause the pressure switch to bounce, witch will hurt the pump.

Where you want to put the T there should be two ells. One going to the tank, and one coming from the tank. In a seance two pipes, not one.

The pressure switch has to go where ever you put the tank.

Travis

Old 11-30-09, 09:08 PM
S
so if i am understanding you...i need to run the supply lines to the new tank. i cannot splice and run a 50 ft run to the new tank??

Old 12-01-09, 05:49 AM
V
Vey
Putting the tank in the house is a smart idea.
The "T" question has me confused.

If you have a new style diaphragm or bladder tank:
At the well, you probably have an elbow or a pitless adapter that goes to the tank with a "T" at the bottom. The other side of the "T" goes to the house. In this case, all you have to do is remove the tank and replace the "T" with a straight piece of pipe (or cap the "T" going to the tank). Then move the tank where you want it (hopefully somewhere along the old pipe route) put in a new "T" and attach the new tank.

If you have an old style "glass lined" tank, (identifiable because it is gray galvanized without paint) there there is an in and an out, rather than a "T". Same thing, but connect the in and out pipes.

Here is an installation manual to a new tank. There is a little picture at #5. They are all basically the same.
http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/9015A290revcWXT.pdf

You want the tank, the pressure switch and a gauge all grouped together.

Old 12-01-09, 10:03 AM
S
I'm with Vey on this one. You can put the tank anywhere really as long as there is no restriction (like a valve) between the well pump and the tank AND the controls are all located near the tank. If you tee off a line in the crawlspace just make sure the tee is before any conditioning equipment and preferably before any spigots.

Old 12-01-09, 08:08 PM
S
thanks guys i am going to try to T into the incoming water line right as it comes through the crawl space floor before any outlets or fixtures and run a single line to the pressure tank about 50 ft away keeping the pressure switch with the tank...hopefully the tank and switch will come in just in time for another weekend project.....thanks for everyone's input.......need input.....#5 is alive....lol