Dirty Water

Old 11-30-09, 10:42 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dirty Water

Every now and then I get a belch of black/grey dirty water. My toilets constantly need cleaning and sometimes its slimy in the tank.
What can I do? I was told if I put a filter before the pressure tank it would restict too much flow. I have a couple of filters on cold water tap line in kitchen. Also we have a water softner. Please advise

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-09, 10:07 AM
S
Kinda need more info to give a good opinion. Do you get iron staining? Does the water smell? Have you ever caught any of the debris that makes the water discolored and dried it out to look at it? Have you had someone come to the house and test the water? There are a ton of possible reason for your problem, more info is needed to narrow down those possibilities.

Old 12-01-09, 05:16 PM
S
It has been tested. It does have a smell. Worse when softerner salt runs down. I thought it was from hot water tank electrode. (its gas and 15 years old) We live in a sandy area

Old 12-01-09, 08:04 PM
V
Vey
Belch(!) of Black Water. Does it come from all places or just certain ones? I had a sink once that did that. Turned out it was rubber seals rotting away inside. Changed all the seals and it went away.

Old 12-01-09, 09:34 PM
S
it usually happens when the water bis running low or if the pump has been off and you start it up again, i put a new pressure tank and well pump in recently

Old 12-03-09, 10:44 AM
S
When you say the pressure is low or the pump is off do mean during the regular cycle of the pump system or when you actually turn the pump off and drain the system entirely? The system should operate between it's set shut-off and turn-on points without waiver. If you notice sometimes the pressure is significantly higher or lower than these parameters then you have another issue.

If you have even trace amounts of sulfur or manganese in your well water and you turn the system off and drain the pressure to zero you will almost certainly get some discolored water when you turn the system back on and start building pressure in the system

If the water is problematic during normal system cycling then you have some other problem. Trying to isolate where and when it happens may be your next step. If you take water directly from the pressure tank is it clear or does it look discolored?

Old 12-05-09, 06:26 PM
S
The water softener guy said I should have an aerator in my incoming line before the pressure tank. It helps break up dirt so the softener and water filters take it out. I,ve never had one since I moved in 15 years ago

Old 12-08-09, 07:50 AM
S
Talked to the water conditioning people and they recommended not going to on demand water heater as I must have sulphur problems. Said to put chlorine puck in toilet (I find this eats the runbber) and replace hotwater tank as its 10 years old or at least replace the adnode.