Sump Pump Run

Old 12-28-09, 08:27 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump Pump Run

Just purchased a previously owned home and I have a question relating to the sump and the resulting water flow.

I just noticed an area of melting snow in the middle of my back yard. Turns out, it appears to be the end of the black piping that my sump pumps water into. So, the sump pumps down into the black pipe right next to the house, the pipe is buried and then comes up in the middle of my yard with a small grated cap on top. Every time the sump goes off, water comes out of the pipe. Is this normal?

Thanks

Old 12-28-09, 03:26 PM
P
The water has to go somewhere when the pump runs. It seems odd that it would come out in the middle of your yard, but who knows what the previous owner did. If the pump is runnig this time of year, you have to consider the pipe freezing and the discharge water freezing. Maybe he thought the yard was the best place to make an ice rink!!

Old 12-31-09, 08:35 AM
T
Thanks. I too thought it was a little strange to come up in the middle of the yard....I would have thought it would be ran all the way to the back.

Its running do to excessive rain and snow melting. I'm actually hoping against the ice rink although I'm sure it would make things interesting!

Old 01-03-10, 04:53 PM
B
Originally Posted by tthacke
Just purchased a previously owned home and I have a question relating to the sump and the resulting water flow.

I just noticed an area of melting snow in the middle of my back yard. Turns out, it appears to be the end of the black piping that my sump pumps water into. So, the sump pumps down into the black pipe right next to the house, the pipe is buried and then comes up in the middle of my yard with a small grated cap on top. Every time the sump goes off, water comes out of the pipe. Is this normal?

Thanks
this alsmost seems like a clogged line. i would think (something i sometimes shouldn't do) that your sump pump and the grate in your yard are hooked to a storm sewer and that your storm sewer line is plugged somewhere past the line between the grate in the yard and the outlet at the street (or where ever this line goes)

your sumpp pump pushes the water out and when it hits the clog it forces the water out the grate and into the yard?

just a thought

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: