Sewage Ejector Pump Problems

Old 12-28-09, 07:36 PM
Sewage Ejector Pump Problems

I am having problems with my sewage ejector pump in my basement. I should start the story off with a mistake I made. I was doing some framing in my basement and threw a breaker on the same circuit that my ejector pump runs on. I didn't reset the breaker for a few weeks, although the bathroom is rarely used.

Since then we started noticing that when the bathroom was used our kitchen sink would gurgle when the toilet would flush. We had guests staying down in the basement and found that the toilet was backed up and also backed up into the shower. When I checked the sump it was completely full. I tried to bypass the level sensor and plug the pump in directly, but it wouldn't run.

When I touched the sump cover I could feel the pump "humming" but I can't actually hear it run.

What is my best action plan?

Right now I am thinking that I will start by renting a drain cleaner and see if I can clear out a clogged drain by accessing where the valve is in the drain line.

If that does not work I am going to try and empty, "yuck", the sump and see if something is plugging the pump inlet and test the pump.

If both of those fail I am going to contact a plumber.

Please share your thoughts and tips, especially in my action plan and also any tips on how to empty the sump as easily as possible.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-09, 06:06 AM
I had a thought this morning. Is it possible that the pump lost it's prime? I had run the pump manually recently, since that seemed to help with the gurgling if I did that periodically. Could I have run it dry and made the pump loose it's prime?

If so can I pour some water down the outlet of the pump to reprime it?

Old 12-29-09, 08:51 AM
nap
it may be as simple as your pump is jammed up with solids and does not have enough power to start.

if things settled for a couple weeks, the solids in the waste will settle to the bottom and as they compress, they get more and more solid. That may be all that has happened.

what I would do is lift the pump from the bottom of the sump up into a more fluid layer and try to run it then. If the pump pumps the fluids, then your problem is how to get the solids stirred up so the pump can pump everything.

notice the word "stirred".

If you cannot simply lift the pump and run it, you might find it easiest to simply pull the pump and lay it on it's side and try to run it.

WARNING do not point the discharge port at anything you do not want soiled or is not cleanable.

Old 12-29-09, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
it may be as simple as your pump is jammed up with solids and does not have enough power to start.

if things settled for a couple weeks, the solids in the waste will settle to the bottom and as they compress, they get more and more solid. That may be all that has happened.

what I would do is lift the pump from the bottom of the sump up into a more fluid layer and try to run it then. If the pump pumps the fluids, then your problem is how to get the solids stirred up so the pump can pump everything.

notice the word "stirred".

If you cannot simply lift the pump and run it, you might find it easiest to simply pull the pump and lay it on it's side and try to run it.

WARNING do not point the discharge port at anything you do not want soiled or is not cleanable.
Is there anything holding the pump in place other than the drain pipe? Can I just life the pump by breaking the joint where the back flow valve is located and try to run it?

The sump is completely full and I do not have a wet vac, any ideas on how to empty it a bit before making too big of a mess?

Old 12-29-09, 10:01 AM
nap
=Ozzmosis86;1669681]Is there anything holding the pump in place other than the drain pipe? Can I just life the pump by breaking the joint where the back flow valve is located and try to run it?
without looking at it, it is impossible to determine for sure but it is quite possible that it is simply hung on the pipe. A lot of residential sump pumps set on "feet" on the bottom of the pump and set directly on the bottom of the sump with the pipe stabilizing them.

I would try disconnecting the pipe and lifting it. Obviously if it is set in 6" of solids, it will resist...some but you should be able to feel if it is attached to something solidly though.

If you cannot lift it at all with pipe attached, do not run it in place as it will be a s*** shower with the pipe detached. Go ahead and remove it completely from the sump.

The sump is completely full and I do not have a wet vac, any ideas on how to empty it a bit before making too big of a mess?[
maybe this

but I surely wouldn't forget these:

Old 12-29-09, 10:13 AM
Haha, thanks for the advice. I talked with the guy that installed the plumbing in my house when it was built. I am going to try to pull the pump up and see if I can get it to run with it pulled out. He mentioned that he thought it was either stuck, or the impeller or shaft may be broken.

Andy

Old 12-29-09, 10:40 AM
nap
I figured you could use the humor (although a serious recommendation).

Old 12-29-09, 11:28 AM
I fixed the problem..... It was a damned rock!!! It got stuck between the impeller and the pump housing. Don't ask me how it go there, but it is working fine now.

Thanks for the help and the tips.

Old 12-29-09, 03:55 PM
nap
You're welcome.

Old 01-24-10, 06:53 AM
pump runs, no ejection noted

Basement sewage ejector runs just fine, the problem is the sewage does not. The system has worked in the past. The bathroom is rarely used. Is this a problem with little use? If I run water into the system is there hope it will start to operate properly or is a sewer/pipe cleaning needed?. This problem has been addressed 1 time before, a plumber states he snaked the line back from where it connects to the main sewer out of the house, not to sure if he actually did anything. The pump would just run when it kicked on, and keep running, I shut the pump off and several days later flushed the toilet turned pump on and it worked, have tried similar process this time, pump just runs.

Old 01-24-10, 11:02 AM
nap
you should start your own thread but while I am here:

yes, a pump that does not get much use can have problems due to that limited use. The pump stirs up the solids so if it sets for a long time without running, the solids will settle out and can actually cause the pump to not even be in a liquid, which obviously it cannot pump.

Now, if you have a plugged outlet you will basically see the same thing with once exception:

if the pump is setting in solids, you will not generally see any surface disturbances in the sump when the pump is running. With a blocked outlet, you will usually get some surface movement, especially if you run it, shut it off, run it, shut it off, like that a few times.

Old 02-07-10, 12:48 PM
Another ejection pump problem in basement

I am also having problems with my ejection pump in the basement.

When my basement was finished a couple of years ago, the ejection pump worked fine at first, although we rarely used it.

Lately, the pump started humming all the time even when there was very little sewer in the well. I unplugged the pump and turned on the water in the bathroom to let the water level rise in the well. When I plugged in the pump again, it started to work and pump the water out. But the pump would continue to humm even after the water level recede.

I noticed that the pump sewer pipe leading to the main sewer pipe leaked sewer at the connection point to the pump into the well. Actually, some sewer shot out of the well. It appears that sewer was trying to go back to the pump from the vertical pipe. The humming sound would not stop.

I had to disconnect the pump now, in fear of burning the pump.

Any help and advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.