Deep well pump problem

Old 01-07-10, 10:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deep well pump problem

My well is about 250 feet deep. The problem started about 3 weeks ago when it got very cold.
In the morning i have water, then about 11:00AM to maybe 12:00PM noon no water. When you check the well you find the pump is trying to come on or maybe is on for about 5 to 10seconds then off, about 2 mins later it tries again. it continues to do this all day until about 5:00PM or so and on it goes. you have water until the same time the next day. Makes no since to me. there is no timer on it. I was first thinking it was maybe the start capacitor, but if it is why the time thing. Please help this is nuts. Cliff

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-10, 06:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
I'm way over in NC and we are in the middle of a record cold spell and power useage is at near record levels. We've had several brown outs and power outtages over the past two weeks. During the brown periods I've had circuit breakers trip as motors and appliances pull more amperage as the voltage drops. Is it possible your line voltage is dropping during the day?

Old 01-08-10, 11:48 AM
C
No i do not think so everyone around me is fine only mine is doing it. And it is much wormer now but still having the problem.

Old 01-08-10, 12:23 PM
V
Vey
Have you checked the tank yet?
We have a sticky that you might want to read.
http://forum.doityourself.com/wells-...well-info.html

Old 01-08-10, 03:03 PM
Z
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Guys this might be the most off tangent comment you've ever heard on this forum. If so - sorry!

But I installed a PumpTec protector box that does exactly what you are describing. It's factory set (I left it that way) to retry a problem situation every 2 minutes. If it detects low voltage or current problem with the pump it waits 2 minutes and retries. When I tested I saw it try a few seconds, stop 2 minutes, try a few seconds, and so on. I think it does that forever?

Could such a box be hidden on you?

Whoops! now i remember, It was factory set to 30 minutes. I set it down to 2 for testing!Better go check I didn't leave it a t 2.

but good luck cliff!

Last edited by zoesdad; 01-08-10 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 10:39 AM
Z
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
... Is it possible your line voltage is dropping during the day?
If I'm going to go off on a tangent I guess I'll really do it right. But what Pilot Dane indicates in the above quote happened to me and my Pumptec went into the retry loop I previously described.

Lost half the my electric to the house (I guess 1/2 - still had 120 but not 240) from a worn wire brushing a branch. The Pumptec did its job, detected the low voltage and went into its infinite loop.

Old 01-13-10, 10:36 PM
S
cliff you need to do some thorough trouble shooting here. Do you have an amp probe and a voltage tester? What you need to do is pull the cap off the top of the well when this is happening and get some amperage readings. If you know what model and brand of motor is in the well I will be happy to tell you how many amps it SHOULD be pulling.

Once you get the amp readings, you then need to monitor the voltage at the wire connections at the top of the well. Usually those connections are simple wire nuts and you can stick your voltage tester prongs up inside to get a reading. What I'd like to know is if the voltage changes when the pump turns on vs. when the pump is off.

It seems very weird that its having this problem based on the time of day but I suspect if you do the above things you will find the problem.