Ejection pump

Old 02-07-10, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ejection pump

I am having problems with ejection pump in the basement.

When my basement was finished a couple of years ago, the ejection pump worked fine at first, although we rarely used it.

Lately, the pump started humming all the time even when there was very little sewer in the well. I unplugged the pump and turned on the water in the bathroom to let the water level rise in the well. When I plugged in the pump again, it started to work and pump the water out. But the pump would continue to humm even after the water level recede.

I noticed that the pump sewer pipe leading to the main sewer pipe leaked sewer at the connection point to the pump into the well. Actually, some sewer shot out of the well. It appears that sewer was trying to go back to the pump from the vertical pipe. The humming sound would not stop.

I had to disconnect the pump now, in fear of burning the pump.

Any help and advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-10, 03:37 AM
If the pump is pumping the water out but not shutting off, you should look in the pit and see if your switch is hanging up. Sometimes the pump moves around and causes the float switch to the get hung up, but I'm not sure what kind of pump you have.If you don't use the system alot there could be "debris" hanging on the float as well.The pumps switch could also be bad as I've seen them get stuck in the on position. The water wiil flow back towards the pump until it hits the check valve. If the check valve is bad, the water will continue back into the pit. I have seen the check valve flapper break off and get stuck inside the valve closing off the flow, which would cause the pump to continue running.If the water is getting pumped out you are probably ok there.

Old 02-13-10, 08:50 AM
Thank you for the advice. I will give it a try.