diaphragm Switch Problems

Old 03-07-10, 05:01 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
diaphragm Switch Problems

My pump was not always shutting off, so I replaced the switch. But now it does not work at all. I manually tested it myself and it works fine, but when it is in water it does not kick on. I have a Little Giant 6-CIA pump, any advice would be great fully appreciated.

Old 03-07-10, 06:50 PM
When you replaced the switch, you may have bought a low pressure cut-off switch.
That means, if the pressure is below 20psi the switch will not let the pump come on.
Your new switch may have a lever on the side, witch you can manually hold the switch on untill the pressure reaches more than 20psi. It should be ok after that.
IF, there is nothing wrong with the pump.

Travis

Old 03-07-10, 07:17 PM
M
I do not believe it is a low pressure cut off switch. I purchased it directly from the manufacturer of my sump pump. Also, there isn't a manual switch on the side.

Old 03-07-10, 07:31 PM
There are a few that do not have the lever on the side.
When there is no pressure in the tank, are the contacts together, in the pressure switch?

Old 03-07-10, 07:55 PM
M
The contacts are not together when there isn't pressure in the tank.

Old 03-07-10, 08:30 PM
If the points are NOT together when the pressure is 0psi, then you DO have a low pressure cut off switch.

The points must be held in manually untill 20psi is reached by the switch.
It would be best to take that switch back and get one with with a handle on the side. That way you could engage the points with the handle, with the lid on and avoid getting shocked. They are a little safer that way. I would stay with the low psi cut off switch. They are a good ("just in case switch")

Travis

Old 03-08-10, 04:49 PM
P
I work on 6CIA's all the time.When you replaced the switch did you also replace the diaphragm? If it works when you manually turn the switch on/off then check for holes in the diaphragm and take an air hose and blow out the white plastic tube in the cord that runs from the plug into the switch cavity. If that little tube is plugged the switch will not function correctly.I'm a little confused about some of these posts. Is this the pump you are talking about?

http://www.drillspot.com/products/78...ible_Sump_Pump

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: