Water-Powered Sump Pump

Old 03-16-10, 01:18 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water-Powered Sump Pump

With the storms we had this past weekend, we lost power for about 7 hours and I had to manually empty the sump pit with buckets.

I'm looking for a backup solution and I was told about the water-powered sump pump that requires no power and relies on your water pressure. Does that really work?

I was going to get a backup battery pump to install on top of the primary pump but those batteries only last about 7 hours and if not properly maintained could not work at all when you really need it.

The only drawback with the water powered sump pump I see is that for every 2 - 3 gallons of water it pumps out, you waste 1 gallon of your own.

Is there anything else? I like to look at these things at every angle before pulling the trigger on it.

Old 03-16-10, 01:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Obviously a water powered sump pump is only a good idea if you are on city water. Another idea is to install an automatic stand-by generator. They are not cheap, but it would provide power to the house to help you through the power outtage in addition to keeping the sump pump running.

Old 03-16-10, 02:03 PM
M
Yes, we are on city water. What other pros/cons are there with water pressure pumps besides water waste?

I looked at a standy-by generator but it costs too much. I'm OK with candles and dry basement until the power comes back on.

Old 03-16-10, 03:11 PM
P
Depending on the model and your water pressure,some only pump 10-15 GPM which is about 1/3 of what a normal sump pumps does. If you have alot of water comming in it may not keep up.

Old 03-16-10, 04:39 PM
M
My water pressure is at 65psi and the sump pump was running every other minute.

Is the water pressure sump the best solution for me?

Old 03-16-10, 05:24 PM
P
I've read where people have had problems with teh switch not working on some of the cheaper ones. Also heard one story where the outlet got clogged, and the pipe broke. The pump stayed on and filled the persons basement with 4 feet of water.

I ran into the same problem on Saturday, but only for 4 hours. I tried to buy a generator on Friday because I had a feeling we would lose power with the predicted winds, but no luck. The only thing I could find was a power inverter. It was rated for 750 watts continuous and 1500 watts surge. I wasn't sure it would be powerful enough to drive my 1/3 hp zoeller sump pump, but figured at least it would be something to try. Low and behold, it worked. I had to keep my truck running for it to work, but it kept my basement dry.

I'm not going to trust this long haul, but it was only like 60 bucks at walmart. I think it will come in handy for using smaller appliances/tools powered with my truck.

For the instance when I'm not home, I'm toying with the idea of a homemade battery system. Bilge pump/switch, marine battery, small charger/maintainer and the battery case. I should be able to do the whole thing for about $150 total.

I'm also toying with making a manual water powered backup pump, and buying a generator. Weighing all options myself.

Old 03-16-10, 05:34 PM
P
I've read where people have had problems with teh switch not working on some of the cheaper ones. Also heard one story where the outlet got clogged, and the pipe broke. The pump stayed on and filled the persons basement with 4 feet of water.

I ran into the same problem on Saturday, but only for 4 hours. I tried to buy a generator on Friday because I had a feeling we would lose power with the predicted winds, but no luck. The only thing I could find was a power inverter. It was rated for 750 watts continuous and 1500 watts surge. I wasn't sure it would be powerful enough to drive my 1/3 hp zoeller sump pump, but figured at least it would be something to try. Low and behold, it worked. I had to keep my truck running for it to work, but it kept my basement dry.

I'm not going to trust this long haul, but it was only like 60 bucks at walmart. I think it will come in handy for using smaller appliances/tools powered with my truck.

For the instance when I'm not home, I'm toying with the idea of a homemade battery system. Bilge pump/switch, marine battery, small charger/maintainer and the battery case. I should be able to do the whole thing for about $150 total.

I'm also toying with making a manual water powered backup pump, and buying a generator. Weighing all options myself.

Old 03-16-10, 08:29 PM
M
pkovo - are you referring to problems with the water powered pumps?

Are you saying that you kept your car running for 4 hours with this power inverter? Is that good for your car?

Old 03-17-10, 03:33 AM
P
Check the specs for the pump you are looking at and see what the GPM's are at 10ft lift and at your water pressure. If your pump runs that much you will probably want something that pumps close to your primary pump. A typical 1/3 hp sump pump will do about 35-40GPM at 10ft lift(head). Here is a battery pump that I would use if I needed one.It pumps great and is pretty simple, but you have to have room in your pit for it.

Zoeller 585-0005 Aquanot II Battery Backup Pedestal Sump Pump System

Old 03-17-10, 06:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
By the time you get a decent sized battery backup pump ($620) and a battery ($270) or a water powered pump of the size you might need is about $500. I would consider a manually operated backup generator. Something you store in the garage when not needed but when the power goes out you wheel it outside and run a good quality extension cord to the pump. You can easily find one for less than $500 and have many options for well under $1'000.

I know these prices may be more than you want to hear. Unfortunatley pumping a large volume of water when the power goes out is not a small task. There may not be a cheap & easy way.

Old 03-17-10, 03:03 PM
P
I agree about the generator. That would always be my first choice if you can swing it. The manual ones you have to be home to turn it on though.

Old 03-18-10, 08:02 AM
M
I have spoken to a few plumbers and I've decided that the battery backup pumps is too expensive for a system that relies on a battery that needs to be replaced every 3 years.

I would like to get an automatic generator but that price is over $2,000. The manual generator requires me to be home to start it plus I need to store plenty of gas at my home.

These plumbers are all recommending the water pressure pumps because there is no little to no maintenance and it will run for as long as you dont have power.

My only question for this pump is that some plumbers say that you can connect it to the same discharge line as the primary pump with a y connector and some say you have to run a separate discharge line. Which one is it?

Old 03-18-10, 12:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
A completely separate drain line would be the most reliable. You can connect to the existing line with a "Y" and install a check valve in front of each pump. You don't want the water pumped by one pump to leak back into the basement via the other pump.

Old 03-18-10, 04:49 PM
M
The plumber who said that he will use the same pipe will put a check valve on the water pressure pump. My primary sump pump also has a check valve. Does this mean it is OK to use the same discharge line for this water pressure pump?

Last edited by MikeyBoy; 03-18-10 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 05:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Yes, that will work.

Whenever you think you might loose power it would not hurt to check and make sure that the check valves are working properly. If they fail the water will flow right back into your basement.

So, if there is a big ice storm expected I'd unplug the regular sump pump and let the water rise until the backup pump starts and watch to make sure that it is actually pumping the water out of the house. If the backup pump starts and you see the water continue to rise you know there is a problem (which you now have time to get fixed before the storm).

Old 03-19-10, 08:55 PM
P
Delayed response, but yes I was referring to the water powered pumps.

Saw the episode of ask this old house where they installed a water powered backup that was pretty stout looking. More substantial looking than some of the plastic ones I've seen online. Can't remember the brand, but you can probably watch the video from their website. They tied into the existing plumbing.

As for running my truck, it was on and off, but it ran a lot in that four hours. Far from an ideal situation, but still much better than getting water in the basement. Besides, it's a truck, it's seen worse. I kind of doubt my Honda Accord would have put out enough juice to run the pump.

As for me, I bought a 3000 watt generator last night. Will only work if I am home, but offers good piece of mind for me. It will let me run a couple space heaters if we lose power in the cold, or keep the fridge/freezer from spoiling if power goes out for a longer time frame. It's a Honda knockoff mad ein China, but it gets good reviews among the RV community. The brand is Champion. $329 at Lowes.

I still plan on putting in a battery system, but nothing elaborate. Bilge pump, large maintenance free battery and battery tender. For the flow I get, it would keep up. My 3rd horsepower pump really cycles quick. The closest the cycles got in the storm was 7 minutes, but most of the time it was 10-15 minutes. It's still running every 1.5 hrs now. Without a pump I don't get a lot of water, but any water in a finished basement is a total pain in the a$$.

Also, in looking at all the different battery pumps available, I agree with Pump Guy, that aquanot pedastal pump looks like the real deal. I have a sealed pit due to my radon remediation system, so I can't use that style pump without a lot of modification to it.

Old 10-28-12, 03:18 AM
W
Milky Boy,
How did you manually empty sump pump. I want to be prepared for 'Sandy', I could not find a electric generator or power inverter.
Pl let me know. Also if anyone knows where I can find either of these, pl post link

Old 10-28-12, 04:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You are jousting at a 2 year old windmill, and some of the posters have not been on in months. It may be too late to prepare for Sandy, as you only have one maybe two days to find what you need. Most likely all generators will be sold out locally, but battery back up would still be an option. Again finding an acceptable set up may be difficult. IMO, a "water" powered pump would be as effective as battery charger on a fork lift. Not very effective. Now, ram pumps work, but you don't have the water fall effect to operate a ram pump.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: