sump pump question

Old 03-29-10, 06:50 AM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sump pump question

Just installed a battery backup sump pump along with the electrical pump. My question is I read that you should drill a small hole in the discharge line between the check valve and the pump. My original pump I have the check valve connected directly to the pump and it works fine.

The new sump pump backup I also installed it directly on the sump pump and appears to work OK. If I need to drill a hole in the pipe I need to installed the check valve higher up. Will I have problems the way I have them installed?

Harlan.

Old 03-29-10, 02:26 PM
You may have a pump that has that hole built in, I don't think you will have a problem if you don't add one. Putting the check valve where you have it is not a good idea if you ever have to service; should be near the top of the pit.

Old 03-29-10, 03:58 PM
P
The weep hole is there to prevent the pump from air locking (running but not pumping).If yours is working as is you might be ok. We found that many of the bilge pump type back-up pumps will air lock without the hole but it varies from mfg to mfg.

We found it's important to have the pump completly submerged before it turns on so the pumps volute is full of water. The height of the switch can be changed on some.

We also don't like the check valve down low. It's a service problem as you have a full pipe of water to deal with if you have to change it, plus you have 8 or 10ft of water slamming down on it every time it shuts off. Those plastic screw in check valves are usually pretty low quality as well.

Old 03-29-10, 06:24 PM
H
Thanks for the info. If I change the check valve and install it higher and drill a weep hole, how far above the pump should the weep hole be?

Sounds like it would be better for future repairs if I change the check valve.

Harlan.

Old 03-29-10, 06:47 PM
P
We always drill ours right in the male adaptor that screws into the pump at a downward angle so it doesn't squirt you in the eye when the pump runs. If your unhappy with the clunk some check valves make when the pump shuts off, check out the silent check valves. They work great. Magic plastics makes a real good one with unions at either end that makes pump removal easier (0823-15) is 1 1/2 white and they also make a clear version if you want to watch your water pump out.

Old 03-29-10, 06:53 PM
H
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: