Well Pump Pressure switch defective?

Old 04-10-10, 08:43 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Pump Pressure switch defective?

I just installed an 80 gallon pressure tank, tee and all the necessary items along with it including a BII Pressure Switch. I've tried adjusting it according to the label inside the cover but it appears the lowest pressure, and largest range, I can set this 30/50 switch is 40 PSI (cut-in) with the cut-out at 50 PSI. The approximate differential on the box is 15-30 PSI but I'm only getting 10. I'm wondering if there is a trick to adjusting these or if I have a bad switch. Currently my pressure tank's pre charge is 28 psi and I would like to keep it there by having the pressure switch cut-in pressure at 30 but I can't seem to do it and now I'm worried I'm destroying this brand new pressure tank... not to mention the additional cycling of the pump.

Old 04-10-10, 12:22 PM
V
Vey
These things usually don't need much adjustment. Maybe a tiny bit to change the 30/50 to 28/50, but that's about it.

You should read the sticky here. http://forum.doityourself.com/wells-...well-info.html

and maybe you will get a clue as to what is going on.

Old 04-11-10, 07:04 PM
T
I don't know if I explained this correctly; I have an old Square D pressure switch that is probably as old as the old pressure tank I replaced. The Square D is dead on when I installed it on the new system working at 30/50. The new switch is a BII, that is supposed to be 30/50, but apears to operate, at best, at 40/50 when plugged into the new system. I want to know if I can adjust this new BII switch and how. I've don't want to continue using the 20+ year old Square D switch which is why I bought the BII with the new pressure tank. I'm thinking I have to chalk the BII switch up to a loss and invest in a new Square D, but I thought I would check here first.

Old 04-12-10, 04:23 PM
V
Vey
Originally Posted by to .00390625 View Post
I'm thinking I have to chalk the BII switch up to a loss and invest in a new Square D, but I thought I would check here first.
That's what I would do. ~$20 is what a Square D costs at any hardware store. Your aggravation is worth something.

You shouldn't have to fiddle with a switch to make it work.

If you don't have one, get a new gauge, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: