Iron Algae treatment plan

Old 05-30-10, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Iron Algae treatment plan

I have what has been described as Iron Algae (which I think is really Iron Bacteria). I have a 350ft deep well, I'm told, drilled in the 40s. Apparently all the piping and casing are metal.

I also have very basic water, showing pH around 9.5. I do not have staining of any water fixtures, or even build up, maybe because of the pH? I do have some brown slime in my toilets.

I have tried shocking the well but after releasing a lot of junk into the water, that only seems to keep the water clean for a few weeks and filters start to get clogged quickly again.

I've also been told my pump (Red Jacket is all I know) is old and 'should' be replaced, which is going to involve a crane to lift the old riser out. I had suggested we wash the well casing down with chlorine the last time, and was told I would probably lose my pump when I did due to the junk going into it.

So, I think I have the following options:
1) replace the pump, wash the casing down, shock, and since the new pipe will be PVC, I'll have less iron to worry about.

2) install a water treatment system to remove the algae.

a) pellet drop followed by carbon filter to remove the chlorine, or b) chlorinated tank and filter.

The pH complicates matters since chlorine is much less effective at these pHs. Options 2 are less expensive by far. 2a would seem obviously best except for the pH issue. Option 2b seems to mean continueing to pump the algae up and then somehow deal with it in my tank or filters...

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-10, 10:17 AM
Vey
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To be effective, I think you will probably end up doing both.
Don't expect much less iron using PVC. It's not the steel that is causing your problems.