Sump Pump Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker

Old 07-08-10, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump Pump Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker

I have a 14 yr old house with the original sump pump. The pump is located in the utility room and collects water drainage from the air conditioner runoff.

I just noticed that the unit constantly trips the circuit breaker. I disconnected both power cables from the wall and ran the sump to a different outlet using an extension cord, same results.

The sump doesnt trip the circuit immediately. Instead, when I reset the circuit breaker, I hear a buzzing for an average of about 8 seconds, then the circuit trips.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-10, 06:45 AM
If you have a seperate switch and cord on your pump, try just plugging the pump in by itself and see what happens. Sometimes the switch will short out or fill with water. If the pump alone blows the breaker it's probably time for a new one. Usually the seal fails and the oil runs out and water fills the motor causing the short circuit. This is a submersible type pump I assume?

Old 07-08-10, 10:07 AM
The other thing to check would be if the pump sucked something up and the impeller is jammed. Try and spin the impeller by hand and see if it spins freely. This would also cause a high amp draw and trip the breaker or the thermal overload inside the pump would shut it down until it cools off enough to try and start again.

Old 07-17-10, 05:36 PM
check the start up amp draw and the amps in that circuit

Your pump could draw too much amps on start up and trip the circuit.

When I checked my pumps on move in, i found the sumps (2) on the same circuit. Both drew 13+ amps on start up and these were on a 20 amp circuit breaker. If both triggered at the same time, it would have tripped the breaker.

Accordingly, I ran dedicated 20 amp power lines to each sump and a separate dedicated line to each sump backup. Thankfully I have 200 amp service and plenty of space in my breaker box.