Cut holes in basin?

Old 07-08-10, 07:35 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cut holes in basin?

Hi,

Digging brand new hole and installing new sump pump (basic dewatering install Zoeller M53-D).

Fill in the gaps for me if I've missed anything:

Broke floor (4") and dug dirt 20" down (24" height of basin).

Questions: 1a. Do I need to dig the dirt deeper and place gravel under basin? 1b. Do I cut the bottom out of the basin and place filter fabric underneath (saw that on a 'This Old House' video), or do I just drill 1/4" holes on the sides/bottom of basin (near top or bottom of basin?)

Inside basin: 2a. Do I place gravel in bottom of basin, level it out, then place 1.5" cinder block on it for the pump to sit on?

Outside basin: 2b. Does the gravel that fills the void around the basin need to be 1/2" rock or just regular gravel? Is there a difference?

Check valve: 3a. Does it attach directly to the pump or up the line somewhere? 3b. Manufacturer says to drill a hole somewhere in the valve for some kind of air release. Where do I drill the hole exactly?

PVC out: I noticed in the instructions there is a separate PVC line attached to the lid to vent gasses/air. 4a. Do you have to have one? The lid I got isn't a gas tight lid. It's just a cover with a radius-length hole in it. 4b. If I do need one, I take it that it vents outside the house (dumb question of the day

PVC outside: 5a. Can the hard PVC go underground?

When answering, if you could give answers in the 1a. 1b, etc. format that would help me keep it straight. Thanks guys.

Old 07-08-10, 09:42 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3a can be either way but we prefer the check valve above the cover just for service ease.

3b we usually drill the weep hole right in the male adaptor that screws into the pump. Drill a 3/16" hole at a downward angle so water doesn't spray you in the eye. The weep hole allows a place for air to escape and also lets water filter into the volute to keep it full so the pump doesn't air lock(runs but doesn't pump)

4a If this is just for clear water a vent is generally not needed. The exception would be if you have radon issues.

5a if you live in a warm climate the pcv underground should be ok but in the cold you might have freezing problems.

Here's some info on installing the basin:

How large and how many holes in a Sump basin?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: