What pump is appropriate

Old 08-18-10, 05:00 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What pump is appropriate

I need to get a pump that I can use for two different applications. I need to pump water from a pond uphill to a tank for watering cattle. The rise is about 30 feet and the distance is about 250 feet. I also need to use the same pump, on different days, to irrigate a small orchard with a Rainbird system. The distance here is about 100 feet with a rise of about five feet. We need a pump that is run by gas or propane. We had a pump for these that was electric but we had to run an extension cord the 300 feet and it just didn't work out practically since the cord was constantly walked on. Unfortunately I got rid of the pump when it went bad and can't look up the HP we had. Can anyone give me some advise on what type of pump I need? I have looked at a lot of pumps and just keep getting more overwhelmed and confused. Thank you.

Old 08-18-10, 07:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
You did not mention the gallons per minute or pressure you want so without knowing I'd say just about any gas powered pump will work fine. Before you can get much help you will have to figure out how much water (gpm) you want and what sort of pressure you want for your sprinklers.

I have two pumps. One is a very small WX10 pump that I use to filly my water wagon and for watering the beds near the pond. It is very small and lightweight and is more than capable of feeding one garden hose. My bigger pump has a 6.5hp motor and a medium pressure, 2" centrifugal pump capable of 165ft. head pressure. My yard starts 35ft. and goes up to 60ft. above the pond level so I loose a good bit of pressure just getting the water up the hill. It is capable of running two commercial/agricultural sprinkler heads putting out 15gpm each.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: