Sump pump questions

Old 08-22-10, 05:25 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump pump questions

Please excuse the length of my setup description here. My home has a fairly steep hill to the west side and when it rains hard, the weeping tile that enters the sump pit from that side of the home, flows like a fire hose. I have a Flotec 1/2hp plastic submersible (3680gph) that usually has no problem keeping up with flow and can drain my fairly large sump pit in a matter of seconds. In a heavy downpour, it will cycle on/off every 30 seconds or so. Last night, for the first time ever, it was barely keeping up with the incoming water, was on continuously and I was afraid it was going to burn out or that the incoming water was going to win the battle (my wife and I started bailing the pit to help it out). I also have a water-powered back-up pump. In my area, the sump pump discharge line is connected directly to the city's storm sewer system.

My questions are:

1. Should I not be worried that the pump may stay on continuously in heavy flow? I have read that it may actually be better that it runs for longer times rather than on and off.

2. My Flotec is approaching 3 years of age and although it has been excellent, I want to get a better pump and throw it on the shelf as a backup. It seems everyone recommends Zoeller, but what other brands are recommended in case I can't get a Zoeller, and should I increase the horsepower to 3/4?

Thanks again and sorry for the length.

Old 08-22-10, 03:25 PM
P
It is actually eaisier on the pump to run steady providing it is covered by water to keep it cool. Like you said the on/off is what kills them.

Zoeller makes a good pump. We have been selling a whole bunch of these with very little problems. They have a nice strainer on the bottom to get junk out and they draw quite low amps to save you a few bucks. We get them from Metro industries in IL.

As for HP you always have to look at the GPM at 10ft. lift and then compare. HP is not always the only factor. We have 1/2hp pumps that pump 60GPM and ones that pump 150GPM. Always look at the flow and keep in mind that some companies are lets say optimistic in there ratings, especially on battery operated pumps.

Sump Pumps

Old 09-03-10, 08:38 AM
A
Just a followup: I have contracted Basement Systems to install a Zoeller M98 1/2hp sump pump and a complete battery backup pump with an alarm/monitoring system. My current Flotec 1/2hp pump does 45gpm @ 10ft and the Zoeller will do 61gpm so, I'm hoping this is the extra oomph I need. Plus, I'll sleep a little better knowing that the battery backup will be there to take over in a power outage or primary pump failure. I'm also going to install some pvc pipe on the Flotec and keep it beside the pit for an easy swap-out just in case something were ever to happen to the Zoeller.

Old 09-03-10, 03:16 PM
P
I don't know what kind of battery back-up system you have, but keep in mind that you might need it when it's raining hard and most battery pumps don't do anywhere near 60GPM. Back-up generator is best if you can afford it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: