Old 08-24-10, 05:29 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New shallow well problem

Need a little help here. dug/drove a new well as follows
water table at 21'
used 25' of 1.25" galvonized pipe with a 4' drive point
pump is new 1 hp goulds shallow well model j10s wired for 220vac

Problem, have nice clean water, pump will hold 20 to 25 pounds of pressure only when I restirct the main output valve to about 60 percent. If I open it full, pressure drops to 0, but still pumps water. What could be wrong?

Old 08-24-10, 06:27 PM
B
Originally Posted by brokernj View Post
Need a little help here. dug/drove a new well as follows
water table at 21'
used 25' of 1.25" galvonized pipe with a 4' drive point
pump is new 1 hp goulds shallow well model j10s wired for 220vac

Problem, have nice clean water, pump will hold 20 to 25 pounds of pressure only when I restirct the main output valve to about 60 percent. If I open it full, pressure drops to 0, but still pumps water. What could be wrong?
broker i am no pump guru but if your out let is the same size as the pump out let with no pressure tank in between i can't see your pump making any pressure. Normally you would have (lets say) 1 inch line from the pump to a pressure tank and 3/4 max outlet from teh tank and maybe even cut back to 1/2 inch for all your outlets in the house. i am also not sure of the GPM each can put out but lets say your pump can pump (in the one inch line) 10 gpm and your 1/2 lines in the house can only let a max of 4 GPM out. when your water pressur in the pressure tank falls to the pump kick in pressure, the pump begins to pump the 10GPM and the open 1/2 inch line is still letiing out the 4GPM so the pump is supplying the 4GPM and still filling the tank with the extra 6 so the pressure in the tank rises until pump shut off pressure is realized

No pressure tank or outlet lines that can let out as much water as the pump can pump means no, or, very little pressure

thats how i think any ways..lol

Old 08-25-10, 08:16 AM
M
What do you mean by "pressure drops to 0, but still pumps water"? Is it pumping a lot of water or very little? Would be helpful to now how many gallons per minute you're pumping when open full. You may just be exceeding the capacity of the well. 1HP is a lot of pump for a 1.25" driven well unless you have great conditions. Have you developed the well at all?

Old 08-26-10, 03:29 PM
P
The pump is either starving for water, or is sucking air on the suction side of the pump.
A Goulds J10S will deliver 23 gpm at 30 psi with a 10' suction lift. It would take a pretty good driven well to support that.
Ron

Old 08-27-10, 07:42 AM
B
Thank you for your reply's. Outlet is 1". GOing to put a vaccuum gauge on the suction side of pump today. DO you think the point maybe to deep,? Pump is rated for 25' lift. I have 25' of vertical pipe plus a 4' point.

Option 2, if there are no leaks in the suction side, could I sink a second point a few feet away? Would this add to the vertical lift of would it be the same lift just out of 2 points?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-27-10, 01:33 PM
P
It would be the same lift (plus a little friction loss). The lift is figured from where the water level in the well is, not the length of pipe. Nothing wrong with tying two wells together.
Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: