Ejector pump/float switch problem

Old 10-31-10, 03:49 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ejector pump/float switch problem

I have an ejector pump for the downstairs bathroom. The holding tank will fill (and overflow) because the pump does not turn on. However, if when the tank is full, I plug the pump into an unswitched outlet, it runs. If I then plug it back into the float-switch-controlled outlet before the tank is empty, the pump runs until it turns off automatically. If this is a defective float switch, why does it not close automatically when the tank fills, but is closed after I start the pump and then opens automatically when the tank empties?

Old 11-01-10, 04:57 AM
P
If you haven't done this already, open up the pit and watch the switch as the pit fills with water to make sure the switch isn't hanging up on anything. If you can reach the switch, try working it up and down by hand and see if it's turning the pump on/off as it should. If in doubt just replace it as they are not that expensive compared to cleaning up a flooded basement. Consider also an alarm for your pit...cheap insurance.

Old 11-03-10, 04:26 PM
C
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, the pump is suspended on the inside of the lid of the holding tank, so when I lift it up to look, things change. I lifted it up and moved the float switch around, put it back together and it worked a few times, so I thought it was fixed, but then sometime during the week it reverted to its errant behavior. Fortunately it's in an outdoor pit, so I haven't flooded the house.

I could be over-diagnosing. The pump works- there isn't anything else involved but the float switch, so I might as well replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: