Sump pump question

Old 01-01-11, 12:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump question

I have a Zoeller Sump Pump model M-98 (submersible) that is four years old. The pump is not coming on automatically when the water reaches the designated level. The electric is working fine. If I pull up on the float lever the pump will come on and pump the water out. Should I replace it, or is there an easy way to fix this? My previous Zoeller pump lasted 13 years. Thanks.

Old 01-01-11, 05:58 PM
P
When the water comes up to the point where the pump should turn on is the float and the float arm in the up position? Does the pump work every time when you pull up on the float lever? We have a pump with a similar switch and some will work only when they feel like it. You should be able to get a replacement switch for that pump. Here are some links.

https://app.qleapahead.com/rtp/libra...asset=80016,63

Mechanical Switch - Parts - Replacement Parts - Pumps : Grainger Industrial Supply

Old 01-01-11, 06:40 PM
D
Thanks for your reply. yes, it appears the float and the float arm are in the up position when the water level rises to where it used to kick on, as far as i can see. Yes, so far it has worked every time I pulled up on the lever. Prior to this, the pump has worked perfectly since the day it was installed, thru extremely heavy rains this summer. Also, thank you for the links. The part is relatively cheap, however I won't attempt to do it myself. The company that installed this pump charged me 450.00, and the pump itself I found out was about 219.00. Do you think a registered plumber could handle this replacement, or do I need to go with the original company specializes in basement waterproofing. Thanks again!

Old 01-02-11, 08:51 AM
P
Is the pump not working automaticaly every time or just once and awhile? Another rare possibility is that the float itself is waterlogged. We had some(not Zoeller) floats awhile ago that were very porus and absorbed water like a sponge causing the float to become very heavy and not float.

As for the switch itself, they are not too bad to install. There are just some screws on the top cover to remove and the switch is right inside. You would probably have to order a new gasket that goes in between the pump housing and the switch housing. Alot of plumbers we deal with don't like messing with anything electrical but you might find one that would do the job for you. I'm just afraid that by the time you pay him to do it and buy the parts you might be getting near the cost of a new pump..your call.

Old 01-02-11, 12:56 PM
D
The pump does not kick on automatically at all. I actually got a hold of a plumber today whose company also deals with pumps. He said the same thing, possibly the float assembly or pump switch. He is going to come out and look at it. If the cost is too much to repair, I will spring for the new pump. I really appreciate your help.

Old 01-03-11, 07:24 AM
H
Faulty Pump

The Zoeller M-98 sump pump is one of the best pumps on the market. I am in the basement waterproofing business for over 20 years and have been using this pump since I started. A few years back we received pumps that had the same problem. Its an internal issue with the contact mechanism. My suggestion is purchases a new pump and send the old one back to Zoelller for repairs. Its no longer under covered under guarantee but you can use this pump as a spare.

Old 01-04-11, 04:47 AM
P
What "contact mechanism" are you talking about? Looks like only the switch and motor inside if you look at the exploded view.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: