Little Giant 10S-CIA-SFS fails to start

Old 01-03-11, 10:47 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Little Giant 10S-CIA-SFS fails to start

I've been trying to resolve an ongoing issue with this pump. I have replaced the switch and the pump seemed to work fine for several hours but by the next morning, nada. At one point I was able to tap on the switch housing with a stick and it would fire up. Hence, my thoughts the switch was faulty. Can no longer make this happen. What is the next likely culprit? Capacitor? Or did I get a bum switch?
Thanks for the help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-11, 03:29 PM
P
I think what I would try is pulling the pump and hooking power directly to the motor bypassing the switch and see if it starts consistently by plugging/unplugging the cord. If so then maybe you did get a bad switch.

Is the switch arm in the fully up position when the pump doesn't start? The reason I ask is we had a bad bunch of floats awhile back that were porus and absorbed water making them very heavy. The float would go under water and wouldn't activate the switch. Shake your float and listen for water. These were on 6E's but looks like the same float.

Old 01-05-11, 11:42 AM
T
Thanks for the info. I have two pumps so we did the testing on the one that wasn't installed (they were both exhibiting the same symptoms). The switch was fine but the motor seemed to be binding a bit. So I did another thorough cleaning of the impeller and housing as well as pulled the motor to check windings and such (thanks also for the post on using vegie oil). That all seemed to check out. The only thing was some build-up on the housing that was causing the impeller some issues. Now, to the pump that I had installed the new switch. Swapped them out and tore into the other pump. No build-up, switch worked fine, but the motor wouldn't kick off without spinning the impeller. Definite smell of burnt electrical so we pulled the switch housing and the capacitor had exploded. Is that the normal way a capacitor fails? Or do we have some other issues? We checked and cleaned the motor, winding, brushes, etc. as well. That all seemed fine. Thanks again for the help!

Old 01-05-11, 02:03 PM
T
The pump that we cleaned and re-installed yesterday worked fine for a while but it is now not turning over on it's own. Does this sound like a capacitor problem? Seems odd that everything else checks out. We did put a multimeter on it when we bench tested it and it was showing about 235V at the capacitor. The capacitor indicates it is rated at 270V. Is 235V insufficient juice to turn over the motor? This crap is really getting tiresome!

Old 01-05-11, 03:47 PM
P
I have seen capacitors fail in that way. Is the capacitor you have in the pump now a new one? If not you need to replace it with a known good cap if you don't have a tester to check the old one. I have seen pumps with bad capacitors only start by spinning the impeller, however you really need to check the windings to make sure they are good. Little giant doesn't publish the resistance factors for their motors windings so you may have to take it to a motor shop to be tested. If the windings are bad you have a new boat anchor. Was the pump ever jammed with debris at any time? If the impeller gets jammed and the pump tries to start and tries to start, eventually something gives...usually the starting circuit of the pump.

Old 01-05-11, 04:56 PM
T
Alright. I'll give that a shot. It is kind of odd though that one pump is almost 6 yrs old and the back-up that we bought is 3 yrs old and they both seem to be exhibiting the same symptoms. Thanks.

Old 01-07-11, 09:54 AM
T
Correction on the capacitor. It indicates 370 VAC and we measured 235 VAC at the posts.