Help identifing utility pump...

Old 02-20-11, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help identifing utility pump...

Hello, I am doing some work for an elderly lady, who is in love with this pump. She really needs to replace the pump, but would rather rebuild it or get it to work better. Here is the problem, I don't have the foggest idea of where to get parts or for sure who made the pump. Thought maybe you all maybe able to help out, here is what I know about it:

If you look up the Patent # 3748066 it will give you a picture of what the pump looks like. This has lead me to believe Simer was the orginal manufacturer of the pump, but I haven't been able to find any information on their site. Their email function didn't work for me, so may have to call them on Monday.

The pump is yellow in color, Model # 56326931; 115 V; 60 Hz; 5 Amp; and what appears to say 01666 HP.

The only thing she uses the pump for is draining her rain catch barrels and spa. She is afraid to buy another pump, because she doesn't know enough about this one to get one that is compable to it.
I would think most any submersable utility pump would work, as it only needs to sit in the bottom of barrel/spa and push water through a garden hose for approximately 50 to 75 foot and at the most, up hill 10'.

Any information you all may be able to provide on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-11, 11:22 AM
Oh, before you ask: The current problem with the pump, is you have to "kick" start it to use it. She plugs it in, has the screen off the bottom and uses a screwdriver to turn the impler. Once it is running, sits in the water and it works like a charm. However, it is getting harder and harder to "kick" start.
I know this is an oil filled type pump and sure the gaskets have let all the oil leak out, to be replaced with water (maybe). If I torn it down, replaced oil and tried to seal housing, it may make all the difference. However, if I can get a kit or something to replace all the bearings/bushings and impeller while I have it apart, it would be like new...

Thanks again.

Old 02-20-11, 04:46 PM
I can appreciate you wanting to rebuild this pump in this throw away world but alot of these small pumps have very limited parts available. If the pump is really old it's that much worse. If the oil leaked out you are probably correct that water has found it's way in. Most likely the start portion of the motor's windings are bad and that's why you have to help it.

Here is a pump that would probably work great for her. It pumps up to 28ft and even comes with a garden hose adaptor.

Pump, Sump, 1/6 HP - Utility-Dewatering Pumps - Sump, Effluent and Sewage - Pumps : Grainger Industrial Supply

Old 02-21-11, 10:22 AM
Thanks pumpguy, I know the idea of rebuilding something is a lost thought in this day and age, but I tend to enjoy the challenge. LOL Besides, they REALLY don't make them like they used to!!
The pump you recommended should do the job. She is looking at buying one from sears and of course wants to spend as little as possible. I think Sears has several that would work for under 100, just need to find the one that will meet her needs. She likes the idea of dropping the pump in the barrel(s), so needs to be submersible; needs to connect to garden hose; pump water through about 75' of hose and up a 10' slope. I think all of these will do the trick, as far as pumping the water, just need to adapt to hose.... Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
Still would like to find information on the current pump.....

Old 02-21-11, 10:51 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Careful ordering from Sears. They contract out the fulfillment. I ordered a router hinge guide kit and the order actually came from an athletic uniform company. I know because they just used the same paper work as they used for uniforms.

The box for the hinge guide was missing. The parts was just rattling around loose in an oversized shipping box that seemed to have been used more then once. When I tried to assemble it I couldn't. There was parts missing. When I returned it it took months to get my credit. UPS said they delivered it but the fulfilment house claimed they never received it. I did eventually got my money and a rooster and bull story. OK sorry for the OT rant.

Old 02-21-11, 05:04 PM
Be wary of those all plastic pumps. You get what you pay for!!

Old 02-23-11, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys. I had taken in consideration the plastic pumps....and have (and will) advise her to such.

ray2047: I know what you mean about Sears, they are not the same as they used to be. I went through just about the same thing with a bearing kit for a dryer. I couldn't even get the second part shipped overnight. They said, "We don't deliver in your area overnight." Funny, UPS delivers here all the time, overnight. Yes, the part was shipped from Sears by UPS.... I was going to have to wait the 9 to 12 days for the part to come in. Funnier still, is I ended up driving about 80 miles and picked up the part, that night...at.....Sears!!!! Would have went somewhere else, but at the time they were the only ones I could find that had the part I needed. Okay, Sears rant over...