Question on Well pumps

Old 04-02-11, 10:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on Well pumps

My well is about 70 or so feet down. The well is 21 years old. How would or do I tell when I should think about getting a new pump and what would be a good one to get, and with a bit more prsure?

Old 04-02-11, 06:09 PM
V
Vey
First read the sticky that starts off Pump Cycling . . . and go down to post 7. I think this link will work. http://forum.doityourself.com/wells-...ml#post1476366

Then watch your pump cycle and study it. Maybe time it. Write down what happens and how long it takes. You need to know these things while the situation is "normal" to understand what is wrong and why. And maybe you think nothing is wrong today, but it can happen unexpectedly and you want something to compare things to.

If you have a pump that is actually 21 years old, then you are blessed, since you are luckier than most. So study the cycle and look for how long the pump takes to recover at step 6 to get up to pressure. Is it more than 2 or 3 minutes? If it is more than that, time to get a new pump, but around that . . . maybe not. This is a judgement thing and most people don't do anything until is is Chinese Fire Drill time because there is NO water(!).

The pump should run more than one minute, no matter how new it is. If it runs less than that, then it is over sized.

So maybe you need a new pump 'cause it takes more than 3 minutes. Others here can recommend a brand (although I tend to stick with what worked the last time), but pretty much nobody will disagree that the size should probably be the same as was in there. If it was a 1/2HP, then replace it with a half horse.

Don't get smart and put in a bigger (in our example 3/4HP) pump even if they are the same price. Bigger isn't better. Spend your money on a bigger tank. Just about everybody can use a bigger tank.

Old 04-03-11, 07:05 AM
It takes about 1-2 minutes to fill, I had to replace the tank two years ago and put in a bigger one. The blue tank at the pump. I built the house in 1990 that is when the well went in. I don't care about the cost I just want the right pump and a good one. Would like a bit more presure after the water treatment system.

Old 04-04-11, 10:06 AM
V
Vey
"Would like a bit more presure after the water treatment system."
If the pump can handle it, setting the pressure at 40/60 may increase the pressure if you are at 30/50 now. Have you had someone out to check your "treatment" (do you mean softener?) system lately?

If money isn't a problem, call someone local. They will know more about your situation once they have had a look than we can by guessing.

Old 04-04-11, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
What size pump is there now?

What is the PSI on and off?

What size tank is there that you replaced?

What type of water treatment?

We can help if you answer the above.

Mike NJ

Old 04-05-11, 03:55 AM
I have it set at 40/60, the pump size I think is 1/2hp. The presure tank I put in is 33gal.
The water treatment I built myself. I have a brim tank with an air tank, then the water softer tank, all can be shut off while the others are in used if neeeded...
The water presure is good but would like better. Flash the toilet while the shower is on no problem, but if while the shower is on to fill the washer machine is slow....

Old 04-05-11, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
From the well pump what size pipe? I piped my hose with 1" from my 3/4 hp shallow jet pump. I can take a shower, flush with no effect on volume. Alot of older homes on a well were piped 1/2". You get better pressure but less volume when using multiple fixtures.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: