Backyard drainage issue

Old 05-31-11, 01:35 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backyard drainage issue

My backyard slopes away from the house. The yard is shaded by large trees. Most of the soil never seems to dry out. I have neighbors on both sides and at the back of my yard. I do not know how to drain the soil so it can be seeded for grass and is more than mud for most of the year. I have read about a French drain but I can't drain the extra water onto a neighbor's yard. I read about a dry well. Is this the best choice?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-11, 01:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums

First, if the yard is shaded by large trees you have a significant roadblock in front of you for growing a nice lawn

Second, what kind of soil do you have? Seems like you might tend toward clay, sandy soils don't usually stay wet like that

Old 05-31-11, 05:15 PM
E
Where is all the water coming from? It sounds like it is possible that it is coming from more than your property. Does your lot appear lower than the surrounding properties, and is there a possibility that the overall grade plan for the area is not adequate or is there some kind of underground water source that is saturating things? While clay will hold water if it stands, it should also provide for a quick run off if the overall grade plan is correct. An adequate solution sometimes involves also knowing the source of the water in the first place. If you are sitting low in the back you may end up having to weep out the water as a worst case to the front with buried sock covered perforated drain pipes and gravel , with a possible street pipe connection if one is available as simply draining to the curb may not be allowed depending on where you live and what level of storm sewers exist at the front.

Old 06-01-11, 10:28 AM
D
There is a possibility of something growing; if not grass, then some sort of ground cover. The soil seems to be mostly clay.

Old 06-01-11, 10:32 AM
D
The house has a walk out basement. The front of the house (street level) is 10' higher than the walk out basement. The back of our yard is likely another 2' lower. The houses on both sides have the same sort of slope but not the trees. I don't think that I will be allowed to connect to the storm sewer. I would need to pump the water with a head of 12'. Thanks for your suggestions

Old 06-02-11, 09:44 AM
E
Without a good grade plan it sounds like your back yard is something of a water bowl, and with no reasonable way to drain out the moisture it sounds like planting a ground cover might make sense assuming your spread of top soil over what is aready there. I don't know what other trees you also have but I can think of a few species that love as much water as they can take in. Weeping Willow is one that comes to mine and they have have very shallow roots also. The only issue with them is they can be a dirty tree in the fall, and they grow fast and big. You could still consider weeping the area but it sounds like it would mean trenching down 10 feet at the front, and need to involve either a back hoe or mini excavator. Not particularly an easy DIY or cheap solution.

Old 09-21-11, 12:11 PM
R
Is it possible to send a picture of your backyard?