How can I redirect water?

Old 07-24-11, 11:54 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I redirect water?

Hello,

After any amount of good rain our sump pump continously runs for many days until it eventually stops. It's a fairly new house and only 5 years old. I believe the sump pump is doing it's job and removing the water around the foundation but I think the water from around the neighborhood flows in our direction somehow and is flowing into my foundation where our pump then has to discharge it. I've made sure the discharged water is way away from the house, about 25' away and toward a lower area. We live in an unincorporated area so no city draining systems that I'm aware of.

In the basement I can see a moisture line around the entire foundation of the house about 1 - 1.5 feet high. No visible water seeping through any cracks that I can see.

What would the best thing to do to hopefully solve the issue? Can I somehow redirect the water from the neighborhood so it flows past the house? A contractor mentioned another sump pump, house only has 1 pump, at the other side of the house but that would only help discharge the water. I would like to somehow stop the source of the water.

Thanks for any info!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-11, 04:28 AM
P
Be glad that your pump stops eventually. Some houses I get into run like that 24/7/365. Check the basics first such as the grading around the house, gutter downspout extensions in place etc. As for redirecting water flow, that's pretty hard to suggest anything without seeing it. The houses around here have a swale in between them to direct water away and that seems to work good.

Old 07-25-11, 09:42 AM
Z
Thanks pumpguy.

The house sits between empty lots. One side has 2 acres, other side 1 acre, and 1 acre lot in front. I'll contact the village to see what they will allow me to do to.

It was mentioned that the water from neighborhood flows from North to South when it rains. I don't see any standing water anywhere. I guess the water is traveling underground towards the lowest area in neighborhood and the house must be in its path

I spoke to my neighbor directly to the north on the same side of the street and he says he has no issues at all. 2 acres separate us with a street inbetween.

Old 07-25-11, 10:53 AM
When we lived in PA the builder dug the basement too deep and hit an underground spring. The basement was full of water the entire time they built the house. We of course didn't find out the real reason for the water until later. Our sump pump ran a lot. Spring and Fall were the worst, when the water table was the highest. I've heard that the current owners have flooded because the pump wouldn't keep up. If you have a similar problem I wouldn't think there would be much you could do about it.

Old 07-25-11, 03:40 PM
It is not unusual for a sump pump to run off and on for a week or even 2 after a big rain event. Remember the basement sump is at least 4 feet deeper then the ground level outside. the ground is like a big sponge and soaks up all that water. Then it drains out at the first easiest place along the way. Your drain tiles and sump were made to gather this water and remove it. Any ground at the same level or below your yard will be drained.
After our last 4 inch rain my sump pump ran for 3 weeks. Almost constant during the rain and gradually tapering off to where it only ran for 5 to 6 seconds every 4 to 5 hours. It all depends on how quickly the water can percolate through your ground.
If you are interested in how long it takes for that to occur in your yard you can do a test by digging a 6 inch round hole 2 feet deep and filling it with water and timing how long it takes to empty.