SubDrive 150 Submersible Motor Constant Pressure Controller by Franklin Electric

Old 07-27-11, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SubDrive 150 Submersible Motor Constant Pressure Controller by Franklin Electric

In the last five years, my 3hp sub-pump with SubDrive 150 CONTROL BOX has been giving my family good, strong running water through out the house and gardens. Everything was fine up to last Sunday, I went out to the well to check things and do some cleanning. Clumsy me, I was accidently sprayed water into the CONTROL BOX. My question: Does anybody know what happened to the CONTROL BOX? Is it the capacitor and/or is the coil burned and how can I test it? Can it be fixed or re-built?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-11, 05:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It doesn't have a regular coil or capacitor, it is a computer. Just like if you drop your cell phone or laptop in the water, you are probably going to need a new one. You were lucky to get five years anyway.

Old 07-28-11, 09:05 AM
Man, that's a tough one. I have dropped phones etc. into water before, turned them off and removed the batteries, let them dry out, and was able to get them working again.

Perhaps you should disconnect the power, put a fan next to the box to dry it out, wait a few days, and then try again. I assume you are without water in the meantime...if you have a neighbor nearby see if you can connect to his water supply for a few days.

That is a pretty expensive part if you have to replace it.

Originally Posted by mr.twor View Post
In the last five years, my 3hp sub-pump with SubDrive 150 CONTROL BOX has been giving my family good, strong running water through out the house and gardens. Everything was fine up to last Sunday, I went out to the well to check things and do some cleanning. Clumsy me, I was accidently sprayed water into the CONTROL BOX. My question: Does anybody know what happened to the CONTROL BOX? Is it the capacitor and/or is the coil burned and how can I test it? Can it be fixed or re-built?

Old 07-28-11, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Wellman View Post
Perhaps you should disconnect the power, put a fan next to the box to dry it out, wait a few days, and then try again. I assume you are without water in the meantime...if you have a neighbor nearby see if you can connect to his water supply for a few days.

That is a pretty expensive part if you have to replace it.

I have dried some on a few occasions myself.
If the power was turned off in time, and nothing shorted out or burned, you may be ok.
With the power off and the cover removed, let it dry like was said in the post above, and you may be ok.

Old 07-28-11, 09:15 PM
I dropped my newest phone in saltwater the other day. Rinsed it off with fresh, and she's as good as new.

Course it's a motorola water resistant phone. LOL.

Old 07-29-11, 09:48 PM
I tried to turn on, (after 4 days) and heard the frying/burning noise, just like the first time when the water got in and cause the system to shut down. I like to fool with it for the last time before give-up and get the new box. Price is a bit high. I opened the box. There are 3 boards. The left board which the power coming in from the circuit panel. The right board which the power coming out to the well pump. The big board with others components and it has the cooling fan attached, I don't know what it purposes? Can you give the benefit of your expert? By the way, I do have back-up water at this time. Thanks!

Old 07-30-11, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IMO you already got longer out of that box than normal. The newer models will not look the same and have been changed, trying to solve some of the old problems. You are stuck with replacing the controller with another like model, because you have a three-phase motor. This is how they make sure you donít change brands. If you had a regular single-phase motor you would have a lot of options. With a three-phase motor you will have to go back with some kind of drive that converts single-phase to three-phase. There are lots better and cheaper drives than the Franklin. Try Driveswarehouse.com.