Rid-X Fosr Septic System Questions ?

Old 08-07-11, 03:10 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rid-X Fosr Septic System Questions ?

Hello,

Had our house septic system pumped out, and guy suggested that we use Rid X.

Does the stuff help/work ? Worth doing ?

Any negatives or caveats to its use ?

How often should it be used ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 08-07-11, 04:13 PM
P
I have a guy two doors down that has been installing septic systems for 25+ yrs. He says never use any of that stuff. It breaks down the solids in the tank and sends them out into the drainage field which can plug things up. He says if it didn't come out of you it doesn't belong in the tank.

Old 08-07-11, 06:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I don't think RidX will harm your septic system but I doubt it can offer much benefit. Nature (your poop) provides all the bacteria needed to break down waste in the septic tank and keep things working as well as possible.

Old 08-08-11, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think what has been alluded to is the "foreign" stuff we pour down the drain, not thinking of the effects it can have on your system. It is a fragile system, and works to perfection, until we pour bleach, toilet bowl cleaners, enzyme eating soaps, and other chemicals down the tube. It kills the bacteria that is needed, and it takes a while for the enzymes to grow back to full capacity. I use it once every three months or so. Just flush a box down the toilet. I honor your friend's comments, pumpguy, but our world is not perfect, and sometimes we have to correct our errors. It does help, but I don't think the advertisement of "once a month" is much more than a sales gimmick.

Old 08-08-11, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My grandfather always added a packet of yeast once a month to his septic system. I'm not sure when his system was installed but it was never pumped out as long as he was alive - probably 40 yrs or so [I don't know exactly when he got indoor plumbing ]

I also use yeast although I can't seem to remember every month. My 20 yr+ old tank has never been pumped although I tried to get it done last year... none of them seem to be willing to come up my driveway

Old 08-08-11, 08:15 PM
Rid-x and any other pour in cure is a waste of money. If any of that stuff worked, I would be out of a job, and there would be no need for pumper trucks.
Just save your money and just take care of the system. a good rule of
thumb, is
(Don't put anything down the drain that didn't come from you.) Wasn't real sure how to word that one......

Old 08-17-11, 08:04 PM
P
I wouldn' t recomend rid x . when they awant u to dump the whole box in toliet . there on better bacterias on the market but the are all worthless if you are using tide detergent

Old 08-18-11, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
"Waste of money" as stated in several posts.....is that industry driven? Sure, pumping every 5 years keeps jobs going (like my dentist wanting me to come back every 3 months ), but there are also testaments as to the longevity and lack of need to pump if properly taken care of. We've been here 11 years, and there was no telling when the PO had it pumped. Pumper1P, if Tide Detergent was a fix all, I'd use it to wash dishes, but there are other things we throw down the tubes, innocuously, that have a bad effect on the eco system. It doesn't hurt to give it a boost now and again, with commercial products like Rid-x or yeast.
I am planning on calling in a pumper just to see what mine looks like. I'll post results.

Old 08-18-11, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I built my current house 10 years ago and it was my first experience with a two tank pump system so I had it pumped after 5 years to see how things looked. Both tanks looked good and clean (relatively) and actually did not need to be pumped but there was no way of knowing beforehand. It's good to know that we are nice to our septic system and everything is working properly. Now I feel comfortable letting the tank go longer between pumpings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: