Septic Location and Laterals

Old 08-18-11, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic Location and Laterals

Replacing laterals and possibly septic. First, the existing septic is with 30 yards of the water well. Is this OK?
Would like to replace septic with the new "plastic" tank, my existing one has a few cracks that about the height of the lateral drain.
Should I repair the septic or replace it. If I replace, do I need to move the septic to another location.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-11, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Hi,

Whats wrong with the laterals? Gravel type?

You may be grandfathered in on the distance from septic to well if you just repair. But if you replace they will make you move it per the code in your area. Also only if you have the property to do it.

Not a fan of plastic tanks.

Before you do anything there are options regarding the field. Leave the old one and install a new next to it. Use a bull run valve and run the new field for three yrs. Then switch back to the old. It will repair itself like new if mechanics are good. Then switch yearly between them. Last field you will ever install.

Repair or replace??? How much money you got???

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-18-11 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-18-11, 08:14 PM
In most places the distance between the well and the septic is 100'

I'm am not a fan of the plastic tanks myself.

As far as being grandfathered, don't count on it.
In about 90% of the country, they have done away with that kind of thing all together.
There were too many old failing septics that were just patched, and never fixed properly. Then the home was sold with a (working septic) that failed again shortly after the new owner moved in.
The were lots of law suits over the patch jobs on the septics, that in most cases if the system failed, a new one must be installed, or the old one brought up to new standerds, laws and rules.

Old 08-19-11, 05:06 PM
I am located out in the country for our county - and have checked with the zoning, there is no requirements unless I put a new septic in. They say all I need is to buy a permit, and then I will assume that there will be regulations. For the laterals, i have no idea? The house has been vacant for at least 7 years. Thought I would replace laterals to make sure they are good.

Old 08-20-11, 11:39 AM
Funds are tight..... What is your suggestion Mike?

Old 08-21-11, 09:25 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I would think that if the house has been vacant for seven years that there is a good chance that the laterals are OK... before spending huge sums of cash, I wonder if there is some way to test them ? No septic engineer me, just good at filling the tanks! so I'm just sayin'...

Old 08-21-11, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
As Trooper state the laterals are probably good as long as they are mechanically sound.

If there are cracks in the septic tank get a quote to repair. You may see its as much as putting in a new tank.

The laterals rejuvinate themselves to new condition after a few years. I use 3 yrs as a good #. They say 1 yr

What you need to do is have the tank pumped and get a price on repair.

Also get a price for a new tank. This way you can compare.

Try tyo find the D box. Once you find that it my assumtion even though the house has been sitting the laterals should be jetted out. This gets the hard biomat out.

The laterals should be good as new after that and should last 20 plus yrs if you keep the solids out and dont overload the system.

The baffle type in the tank is the most important. I dont know what type of tank you have.

Give more info and we can guide you further.

Be careful of who you get to come out. They may try to decieve you.

Post here before you do anything.

Mike NJ

Old 08-22-11, 05:10 PM
The tank has 3 baffles, the two internal walls are of red brick - they appear to not be broken or cracked.

Thanks for the advise.