Sump pump basin

Old 08-23-11, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump basin

I have to replace the basin my old pump is in- it's probably older than the hills and the sides are completely broken off (you can see rocks and dirt etc)- I'm concerned this will jam the pump- here is my issue- The current diameter of the hole in the floor is about 15"- I see most of the new basins are 18" round- Since I already have the hole (and just need to make it wider)- Can I use a chisel?- or do I need to rent a power hammer to widen it another 3 inches?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-11, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
You can do it with a hammer and chisel but you will get your exercise. I use a hammer drill and drill a bunch of closely spaced holes around where I want the concrete to break. Then a few hits with a hammer and it should should break off.

Old 08-23-11, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 22 Posts
Hi,

Pilot dane is right on about drilling the small holes. It helps for a cleaner cut.

I often use a large hammer drill, like a Hilti. This allows you inter-changable bits. Drill, chisels, etc...

It should be fairly simple, since you have the hole there already. Its just a matter of breaking the edges, then digging out.

Good Luck.

Mike NJ