New House with a Well what maintenance is needed

Old 09-07-11, 08:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New House with a Well what maintenance is needed

I moved to a new house and it has a well. Having a well is some thing new to me and I just wanted to check a few things.

I found where there water line enters in to the house, I have a large round blue pressure tank to the left of it I found a Novaclean Automatic Water Filters model NCF10 and what looks like a BIOLITE Advanced UV System water treatment unit.

2 questions

I found a gauge on the floor is that a pressure gauge if so it shows 10 psi that sounds very low ? My wife reports that in the morning the water pressure is very low in the kitchen after she has a shower and tries to fill a kettle of water the water barely dribbles out of the tap.

What maintenance should I be doing for my well should I be worried about the very low water pressure and deal with that first or is that normal ?

Old 09-08-11, 04:24 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
There's a good chance that the pressure gauge is defective. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have that looked at... replaced...

Most private well system pumps are set up to turn on between 30 and 40 PSI, and turn off between 50 and 60 PSI.

That gray box behind the tank is your pressure switch. It monitors the water pressure and runs the pump.

The blue tank should be maintained every year or two... you would want to check the air pressure charge inside with a tire gauge (yes, believe it or not) on the Schrader valve on top. You can't check the air charge with water pressure on the system though, it needs to be done with the pump turned off and the pressure at zero. The pressure in that tank needs to be set about 2 PSI BELOW the LOW CUT IN pressure of the pressure switch.

Your NOVACLEAN unit could be a number of things, depending on what filter media is installed inside it. I think from the NCF 10 model number that it is an activated CARBON FILTER unit of 1.0 Cubic feet capacity. Carbon is used mostly for taste and odor issue correction, but does have some other uses. Carbon media does need to be replaced from time to time. It appears that unit uses a FLECK brand valve, and they are pretty decent. Yours IS an older model, but parts are still available. I recently rebuilt my Fleck valve and hope to get another 25 years out of it... if I last that long! I found this PDF file that might be useful to you:

http://www.watergroup.com/pdf-folder...76-english.pdf

Here is what appears to be the main webpage for your unit:

Novaclean Automatic Water Filter

'Ang on a sec... I just looked at this PDF and it appears that your NCF 10 may be an IRON FILTER, and NOT a carbon filter... check it out:

http://www.watergroup.com/pdf-folder...03-filters.pdf

Your BIOLITE is a 'sterilizer'. These have powerful UltraViolet lamps that kill bacteria and waterborne cysts like Giardia, and other biologic pathogens, etc... there's a little bit about your unit here:

BioLite UV sterilizer

UV Sterilizers generally need the bulb replaced on a regular basis. Yours might be past it's service life... it is discontinued. If it's in good shape and still working, then continue to use it, but I bet it needs a new bulb.

Very low water pressure is not normal. Your gauge may be lying to you. Choose service persons wisely! It's very easy for people to be scared by hard sell tactics that strongarm salesmen push.

Use a licensed, qualified well contractor... not a 'plumber'... or a 'handyman'...

Your well guy probably won't want to touch the Novaclean, or the Biolite... and here is where those strongarm foot in the door salesmen can do their worst... ( my apologies to any HONEST people out there... you know who you are, or aren't! ) ... so BE CAREFUL!

Have your water TESTED by a reputable INDEPENDENT lab. Let the results of that water test guide your choices regarding what treatment equipment you need to service, replace, or add to your system.

Remember, Google can be your friend!

Old 09-08-11, 04:31 PM
NJT
By the way... it appears that there are some minor problems with the wiring... see where those outer 'sheaths' are broken at the pressure switch? and it looks like there's a pump control box behind the tank with a broken sheath also... those should be repaired.

Old 09-08-11, 06:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for all the details NJ Trooper, I also did some looking and found the "Novaclean IF Chemical Free Iron Filters" manual I am pretty sure its the correct one as the parts match. I was thinking that the media should be replaced but looking at your second PDF I read.

What is the filter media?
The media consists of a blend of special natural media,
portions of which are not commonly used for water
treatment. It contains no manganese greensand,
manganese treated sodium aluminosilicate (Aridsorb™) or
Birm™.

Will the filter bed ‘wear out’ and need replacing?
The filter media does not wear out if normally cared for, but
will experience a slight attrition each year as does high
capacity softening resin or any other water treatment media.
Because of the conservative capacities used in product
specifications, no media need be added for many years to
restore capacity.

The system was not used for a year when the house was empty so not sure if i do need to replace the media or not. (Spoke with the supplier and they said it does)

The BIOLITE I found a CD for and was very good at listing all the things I should be doing on it as well as some good tips for cleaning and working with the unit.

When the water was first turned on there was a strong smell of hydrogen sulfide and tiny black specs in the water. After running the water for about 15 minutes the smell went away and so did the black spec’s. The water was tested and the results came back as being clean (from a LAB).

Your eyes are much better than mine I missed the pressure switch break.

Old 09-08-11, 07:12 PM
NJT
I am curious as to what 'magic' media they are using in the unit... but apparently it doesn't 'wear out' over time, only needs to be 'topped off'. Sounds like the supplier might just wanna make a buck or two... ah heck, who doesn't?

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: