Dirt in well water

Old 09-09-11, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dirt in well water

Can i install a "whole house" water filter before or after my surge tank? Preferably before, but is there such a thing and can it withstand well pump pressure? My well is at least 75 years old, located in basement alcove right next to house, and i believe it's very deep and large enough to supply 30,000 gallons in four days time to my pool without any problems! We also just received 8"-10" of rain in past week, which is probably the root of the problem.

Old 09-09-11, 10:07 AM
Z
Received 43 Votes on 42 Posts
hi 56

Im a novice, not a pro by many miles. I have a well system and have learned just a little. If surge tank is the same as pressure tank then I would assume you have a tank with a pressure switch mounted near it that turns on the pump. If not then just ignore this (maybe you were going to anyway, lol).

I know you can get whole house sediment filters I have one. They are sized by the GPM rate that your pump delivers. So you have to know that before you pick a filter. Here is a link to an example of a sediment filter.

http://www.pentekfiltration.com/Pent...e%20310053.pdf

And as I said Im a novice, but my understanding is that you dont want anything that can impede the flow of water between the pump and the pressure switch. So a sediment filter between the pump and pressure switch would be incorrect as far as I understand. You would need to put the sediment filter after the tank and switch.

I know in my house if the sediment filter gets clogged up you notice a drop in water pressure at the fixtures and it s (past) time to change the filter. No harm. But I guess if my filter was before the tank/switch in that case, the pump and pressure switch would be seeing 2 very different pressures not good I guess. Maybe Im wrong, but it is probably something to at least check out anyway if you are in fact going to get a sediment filter.

But you really need one of the pros to weigh in.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-11, 10:36 AM
Nothing should go between the pump and tank. Any kind of filter should be mounted after the tank. Most all water filters can withstand the same amount of pressure any sink or water using devise will.

Old 09-09-11, 03:15 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I would be very leary of any changes in my well water when it rains... theoretically, if the well is 'very deep' it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be affected by heavy rains on the surface. The water it should be drawing is coming from an underground aquifer that is 'recharged' many miles from where you are drawing it out. Your well should not be influenced by the presence or absence of ground water.

Old 09-13-11, 11:21 AM
S
Earthquake maybe??

I am just a homeowner and not educated in wells or plumbing but thought you might find this interesting. I know the earthquake and hurricane were only a few days apart so....
Is it possible that your well was damaged by the recent earthquake. Since the earthquake, we have had sand in our well. Here is a post that you may find interesting.
Green Risks: Your Water Well After the Earthquake
Here is the article that appeared in our local papers.
Health Notes: Murky well water? Health officials have post-earthquake advice - dailypress.com

Our well still has sand in it today. We put in a filter to catch the sand hoping it will go away soon.

Old 09-13-11, 03:07 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Good thinking spin! I think it would be a good idea to ask WHERE the affected well is located!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: