Advice needed for dormat water well

Old 09-09-11, 04:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice needed for dormat water well

Anybody have advice for how long a water well can be dormant??
We just had a water well put in, but are unsure of when our house is going to be built.

Old 09-09-11, 05:15 PM
B
i have a well with a steel casing that sits dormant for about 8 months a year...when i open up the well i put a gallon of bleach down it turn on the garden hose and run the water back down the well for about an hour to make sure it is well mixed then open each tap in the house until i smell the bleach and then close them all and just pump the well out the garden hose to the ditch until the rusty color and the bleach smell is gone, bleed each tap until the water is clear and never look back until next year.

if you have a plstic well pipe you may need to do nothing? i am sure the pros will be here soon to help you out

Old 09-09-11, 06:59 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forums.....

A well can sit for years without any problems, if its sealed. An open well is a magnet for kids or anyone passing by to drop something in, just to hear it hit the water.
If your new well has a pump in it and is going to set for awhile, it should be fine.

Just the other day we checked a well that has set for over 20 years with the pump in it. (The Pump Ran) and pumped over 50 gpm.
However that is rare to sit that long and still run, but it can happen.

If yours is going to sit a few months or even a year, you should be fine.

Old 09-22-11, 12:32 PM
J
Sorry this is such a delayed response!!
The well is definitely capped off, but I'm not sure it has a pump.
This is a new well that has never been used. Do you suggest if it's not going to be used right away, that a pump be installed? Or is that something I may have and not even know it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: