LOOKING FOR HELP...or member VPNWIZ...high water level under slab house 1954

Old 10-06-11, 04:49 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry LOOKING FOR HELP...or member VPNWIZ...high water level under slab house 1954

hi. new to this so bear with me.....old to this STUPID water table prob. HIGH house humidity...constant 70-80% year round, slab house.
have heard from hvac guys a) can do nothing about, suffer; b) put foundation drain in to stop 'leakage' from the rolling 'hill' behind the house (but there is standing water in front also, LONG after the rain is gone) ergo, I think it's the water table (1/8m up from lake erie); c) foundation drain won't work, water level...
ok, so who's the next expert? need new ideas, aside from demo. no money, low income area, no resale value and would have to disclose anyway (was wonderful when bought 18 years ago up from lake, first house, beach every sunset with wine - NOW mom and kids are constantly sick (respiratory related to humidity), house is molding, dust mites, concrete/metal FEW ducts are deteriorating and putting that into the air....NEED HELP!! oh, and did i mention that the 'soil' structure here is CLAY? smells like sewer. over the years have incorporated actual soil into the beds around the house to help something grow, but under the house is still the gray yukky clay...
aside from lifting the house on stilts (of which we just did to a shed a brother/friend put directly on the ground, which is now my office)
WHAT CAN BE DONE?? saw member vpnwiz was in NE ohio and had some ideas to water level...he seems to be gone for a few years...anyone else? thanks

Old 10-06-11, 05:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Have you tried sending member VPNWIZ a private message through the forum? Even if he does not visit the forum he may get an E-mail notification of the private message.

You mention adding soil to the beds around the house. Has this brought the level of the ground up around the house? While helping surface runoff it may be holding damp soil higher up on your slab foundation.

One option would be to install a sump pit outside the house. You mention the foundation drain but did not say if you actually had one or simply thought it would not work. I'm wondering if you run a perimeter foundation drain into the sump pit and pump the water as far away from the house as possible to pump down the water table where your house is located.

Old 10-07-11, 12:20 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane has it on the nose, provided your lot is big enough. The purpose of foundation drains in areas where the water table is high is to draw down the groundwater locally underneath your foundation (or slab on grade). If you've got a part of your property that is a fair ways away you can pump to that spot. Essentially you'll be creating a closed loop, but at least your house wlll be drier.

As for the HVAC guys saying there's nothing they can do, that is hooey. It may be somewhat expensive, but you can get whole-house dehumidifiers.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: