Sump Pump Questions

Old 10-10-11, 08:48 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Sump Pump Questions

Have a few questions about our sump pump that I hope I can get some help with. We had a water line break outside our foundation wall and had it repaired on 8/24. The water to our sump stopped coming in (except when it rains) and the sump pump stopped running for two and a half weeks before we received about three and a quarter inches of rain two weeks ago. The pump was slowing down to running nearly three hours before cycles. Now this past Sunday, 10/9, it started to run about every 14 to 15 minutes, has gone back up overnight to 48to 49 minutes, and has just run after 39 minutes. We do have a deep basement and a high water level but this is unusual for us. Is this normal to do or could it be that maybe the leak in the water line outside has started again? Last time the water line cracked you could hear a sound like running water in the meter and we don't hear that sound now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-10-11, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hi,

The only way to determine if the leak is outside is to put a pressure gauge before the meter. Then turn off the water at the street. Pressure should hold. If the pressure drops there is a leak.

Mike NJ

Old 10-10-11, 01:19 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for your suggestion. Will contact my town's water dept. in the morning and see if they can do that and, if not, who can. Thanks again!

kneelix

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: