Noisy Check Valve at Shutoff

Old 12-15-11, 06:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Noisy Check Valve at Shutoff

Hi,

When my main sump pump check valve shuts off, there's a loud annoying BANG that can be heard throughout the house. From what I've read, there are 2 options - install a "silencer" check valve or add a 2nd check valve. Here is my set-up:

I have 2 pumps in my pit (24" deep) in my basement - main and backup. Each run PVC out of the pit to about 1' above ground. Then there's a soft 90 degree elbow to the wall (about 18"). Another soft 90 up takes it to the check valves - I have 2 so each pump can have its own. On the upside of the check valves, there's a 'Y' connector which then sends a single PVC riser to the horizontal piping for expulsion (approx 5').

So, I want to add the "silencer" check valve off my main pump to deaden the shut-off sound. I was reading that some have installed a 2nd check valve at the top of the riser to lessen the down-flow. I was thinking of killing 2 birds with 1 stone and just adding the "silencer" check valve at the top of the riser.

Suggestions on which would be best?

As far as "silencers" go, I've come across 4 brands - Basement Watchdog Klunkless, ProPlumber, Campbell Mfg Brady Quiet, and The Silencer.

Thanks for your time and help,

Mike

Old 12-18-11, 07:36 PM
You could add a small surge chamber just above the check valve, and that would solve the problem. All you want to do is take the shock out of the falling water column .
A good example is a 1 gallon bladder tank.
The watchdog is basically the same thing.

Old 01-06-14, 03:49 PM
I
Hi Mike,

I see it's been two years since you encountered this, but I want to know how you addressed this. I just installed a new Zoeller 1/2 HP pump and new check valve; when finished pumping there is a loud clunk, or, "water hammer".

Did you add a second regular check valve near top of the riser? Or add a "silent" check valve near the top? Or...? If you did, what make/model did you add?

Results?

I can't find any pictures of a bladder tank, as suggested by waterwelldude, but maybe that's the way to go. On Amazon.com, looks like lots of people are happy with just replacing their noisy valve with a Campbell quiet valve:

Amazon.com: Campbell Mfg Llc 1.5" Quietsump Chk Valve B-0823-15C Well Supply Accessories: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Any input greatly appreciated. And pictures if you have some!

Thanks,

Matt

Old 02-01-14, 10:49 AM
I
I just replaced my check valve with this:

Magic Plastics 0821-15HC Quiet Check Valve, 1-1/2 ", Clear - Everything You Need For Your Home & Garden

The water hammer is completely gone. It's a big improvement not hearing (and feeling) that loud slam every time the sump pump cycles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: