Restarting a sewage pump

Old 01-02-12, 04:18 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Restarting a sewage pump

First post area having learned a lot here already. Thanks for that.

I'm going to replace the pump that pumps gray water to the drainfield. Given that the tank is contains much more water than usual, I'm afraid that pumping it all at once would overload the drainfield.

Is that a valid concern? I was planning to run the pump a little and then shut out off. This would be repeated until the level is low enough that the pump would pump a reasonable amount by itself.

The pump is a regular 4/10 HP sewage pump with one float switch for the pump and one for the alarm. There doesn't seem to be any control that would enforce a pumping cycle safe for the drain field.

Kai

Old 01-04-12, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Without knowing the type of drain field or type of soil you have, its hard to say how much water it can take.
Over pumping is a valid concern. Putting too much water in at one time, can cause the sewer to come to the top of the ground, and nobody wants that to happen.
Placing a timer on the pump is one way to control the amount of water that is pumped to the drain field. It may take some trial and err to find the amount of water your field can hold at one time.

Old 01-05-12, 05:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 825 Posts
Usually the volume sent to the field is controlled by the float switch locations. If you have some idea how far your lower float switch can travel you could turn your pump on for about that amount. My switch is at the end of about 18" of cable so it pumps about 3 feet of effluent with each cycle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: