Question about new water well (with pictures)

Old 01-02-12, 05:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about new water well (with pictures)

I have a new manufactured house with a water well. I was outside doing some dirt work today when I noticed a few things about the water well that might be regular, just wanted to make sure. In the 2 pics below, one shows a crack in the, what I assume is casing, of the well, was wondering if that was ok? and second, the pump is mounted directly onto the PVC without any support, is this normal? I would not want the PVC to break. Thanks let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-12, 07:08 AM
L
Hi Damian...The installation is probably OK so long as the pump does not vibrate when it starts up and runs. However, since it is cantilevered above the ground as illustrated, the pump and tank are exposed to possible impact from a lawn mower, ATV, or other yard equipment. Any chance you could build a small well house around the pump and tank to protect it from impact. Also try to protect that portion of the piping leading to the structure that is exposed above ground. You must be located in a warm climate with no significant winter freeze cycle with the apparatus exposed above ground like that. The casing itself is probably steel sealed with some sort of grout-like material to keep rodents (etc) from getting in your well. The small amount of cracking in the grout at the surface is probably OK.

Old 01-03-12, 07:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
Around here the Environmental Services (Health Dept.) inspectors will not approve a potable water well with a cracked apron, something you do not have. Some cracking around the grouting can be expected especially if it was not formed before pouring. The hole around your well probably tapers so the grout cement is thin at the edges and easily cracks. I can't see from the picture if the cracking goes all the way to your pipe.

Personally I do not like the pump mounted on top of PVC piping like that. Every time the motor starts it's torque is going to put a strain on the pipe. Not to mention what one bump from a lawnmower will do. And then there is that rare freeze that dips further south than expected.

Old 01-03-12, 08:27 AM
D
I will clean up the dirt and get another pic to show the crack better. I think I'll build a wooden stand to help support the pump.

Old 01-03-12, 09:10 AM
D
Also, is it safe to seal the cracks with some quickrete? I have 2 bags lying around

Old 01-03-12, 04:10 PM
D
Called the well driller and he said the apron goes 20 foot deep, does this sound right?

Also found a new concern I called and let a voicemail about, one side of the apron goes deep and has a hole while the other side is level with the ground, the hole goes apparently about 18inches until I actually hit something hard, which I guess was the apron. Is this a major problem, pics will be uploaded shortly

Old 01-03-12, 04:23 PM
D
here are the pics, it was getting dark so just took some quick pics, dug out as much dirt as i could and then took a 2x1 and poked to the bottom, about 18 inches on the 2x1 is where i hit what i guess is the rest of the apron, still waiting on hearing back from the driller, will probably hear back tomorrow.

Old 01-03-12, 04:44 PM
D
update, well installer called and said that he will come by and fix it tomorrow, said he will rinse all the dirt out and pour some fresh apron stuff on there and get it to seal to the top. Does this sound like a good fix? he said if it only goes around 18 inches, nothing to worry about since it is cemented 20 foot in the ground.

Old 01-03-12, 04:57 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
Is this a typical installation? To me, it looks like a hack job (though admittedly, I'm not a well person in the slightest).

I'd worry about the PVC cracking over time from the vibrations of the pump. I doubt the PVC is rated to hold up the weight of the pump. Also, the pump looks like it's plugged in to a receptacle? I don't think that's outdoor rated wire either.

Maybe this is typical for warmer climates, but I think if I were to install it, I'd support the pump somehow and come up with a slightly better wiring method.

I defer though to the experts here...

Old 01-03-12, 05:17 PM
D
It's through a company the contractor uses. This weekend I plan on building a support for it even tho the driller said it should be fine.I'm not too worried about the wire, it goes into an water proof electrical outlet and is outdoor wire...all of this passed inspection also lol

Old 01-03-12, 05:24 PM
D
Also, what time of stand to support the pimp would yall build? Just sole 2x4 supports?

Old 01-04-12, 05:19 PM
D
He came and filled the home.

Any ideas on what I could build to support the pump?

Old 01-04-12, 07:15 PM
The pump shouldn't need much support. There are more than a few that are installed just like yours that are still there after some 25 to 30 years. Its not the best install but not the worst either.
The problem with building a support for the pump is, that the ground will move where as the well will not. That moving of the ground will cause any support you build to push or pull on the pump(witch is tied to the casing) and could cause the casing to crack or brake.

Old 01-05-12, 04:06 AM
D
That sounds logical. so besides a pump house, any other bracing you would recommend?

Old 01-05-12, 08:59 PM
A well house should be all you need. The house would (hopefully) stop someone from hitting with a mower.
If your worried about it leaning to one side or the other, you could tie it off like you would a small tree. Just don't build a solid type brace.

Old 01-07-12, 01:10 PM
T
DO NOT build a support. Your concern is way over blown.

If anything I would have installed a sleeve around the casing and then filled it in with sand. Makes it much more sturdy. You can't do that easily with the pump on the head, but you can cut a 6" pipe in half and then re-join them.

Your installation is pretty typical around here and should give you several years of good service.