White muddy well water

Old 01-28-12, 10:53 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy White muddy well water

I have white muddy water coming from my well. It is about ten years old, drilled and 250' deep. I know its not air. You fill up a glass and mud settles at the bottom. I have never seen this before, there has been a lot of rain the past three weeks but we have had a lot of rain before and not had this problem. Could it just be from the rain or maybe something much more serious? Thank You in advance Should I try letting the water run and if so for how long?

Last edited by jrader; 01-28-12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-28-12, 07:21 PM
B
do you have a steel casing? it sounds as if you have ground water running into your well and bringing in earth with it?

all the wells i have seen with this problem are usually within the top 4 or 5 feet of the well

this is just my guess

Old 01-28-12, 10:16 PM
Hi and welcome.

Having that type of sediment in your water could rain water getting in the well or some sedaling may have taken place in the well.
Being only ten years old I don't think it is rain water.
Knowing what type of well you have would be helpful. Like, rock well, pvc or steel casing, jet pump or submersible.
Letting it run open flow for an hour or so, could clear it up. Is there some place at the well head that you could run water directly from the well before it goes into the tank? That would let the water flow unrestricted. If letting it run does not clear the water, that could indicate a more serious problem.

Old 01-29-12, 05:33 AM
J
Thanks for the response, I bought the house use and do not know much about the well. The folks next door have lived here forever and he told me about the depth. I have no clue about the rock pvc or steel but will find out and get back. I ran it yesterday for 3 hours and it is a little maybe a lot better but still not as clear as it has been. I know it not coming from the top as it is all GA. red clay haha, do you have or know a link to where I can see a pic of drilled wells and how they work. Thank You for your time!!!!

Old 01-29-12, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
What or how many filters, or type of filtraion do you have for the well?

Possibly a faulty head is letting media through, such as calcite. Or when you refill the calcite filter often you get the white fine powder that comes out as cloudy water.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: