Help With Pressure Tank/System

Old 02-21-12, 05:49 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help With Pressure Tank/System

I just had the 160 ft well drilled and have a 1 1/2 HP Franklin 220V submersible pump, Amtrol Tank, Sq D pressure switch, the well is 4" PVC, Sch 80 PVC line from the pump to surface. I am not using the water for the house but did install a freeze-proof faucet outside. I had an irrigation guy hook up the system to the sprinkler system and he said that I only needed one line from the tank to the irrigation line and used a T to do this. So the inlet and outlet is the same line. I have outstanding water pressure at the outside faucet but the pressure gauge shows water pressure rising and then dropping which causes the pump to recycle. I called the folks who drilled the well and they said reduce the air pressure in the tank to 28-30 lbs. I bled off the air in the tank and still the pump recycles... I might mention that the tank feels empty and I can "feel" the water running after the gauge starts to drop psi through the single feed line. At first I thought the check valve was faulty but of course, the well guy told me to bleed the air in the tank. Do I need both and inlet and outlet line to/from the tank? Do I need to adjust the Square D pressure switch or call the well people and heave them pull the pump and replace the check valve. The check valve is supposed to keep water from going back in the well but apparently it is going back. I am puzzled to no end on this well, it should work without a hitch but....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-12, 07:52 PM
It does sound like the check valve in the well is leaking. If the pump builds pressure and cuts off, and you are not using any water, and the pressure still drops. There is something leaking down in the well. My guess is the check valve.
To set the air in the tank, you need to know what pressure the press/switch is set to come on.
If the switch cuts on at 30psi, the air pressure in the tanks should be 27 to 28psi.

Old 02-21-12, 08:12 PM
P
Thanks for the reply, in retrospect I remember running the pump after the well was drilled and shutting it off and coming back later and it took a while for the water to come out the hose/pipe so maybe it is the check valve. I'll call the people that installed the pump in the morning and have them come back and check it out. Thanks again, John