Changing to a different type of Pressure Tank for well

Old 03-13-12, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing to a different type of Pressure Tank for well

I have a drainback type well system with an old galvanized 80 gallon storage tank. It is a deep well/submerisble pump about 175 feet deep.
-I want to know if it is possible to convert the storage tank to a diaphram/bladder style pressure tank?
-Is it possible to covert to a diaphram style storage tank and still keep the drainback feature of the well? I understand how the drainback system works and it is used to prevent freezing, so air would be introduce into the system each time the pump cycles. Do they make a valve of some sort that can remove the air that would be pushed into the system each time the well is turned on?

I'm tired of dealing with a water logged tank, I don't think there is a freeze issue but the house is used occasionaly and that is why I believed they orginally installed a drainback system.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-12, 06:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the tank is getting waterlogged, then the drain back system is not working anyway. The only reason to keep the old style air over water tank is if you have iron or rotten egg smell in the water. Otherwise you can switch to a bladder or diaphragm type tank. Eliminating any check valve above ground will usually keep the drain back system from working. So you can just remove the above ground check valve and replace the galv tank with a diaphragm tank. However, if the drain back or bleeder orifice in the well leaks water back, then you will need to pull the pump up about 5 feet, remove the bleeder and plug the hole.