Well Pump Slows Down, No Water Flow

Old 05-02-12, 06:24 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well Pump Slows Down, No Water Flow

Hello,

First time on the forum. I just purchased a new home, needs a little work, but the biggest problem is with the water supply. Obviously, we can't really do anything else until we have water. I don't have the details on the pump with me (i think it's 3/4 hp and it looks really new, it's a 2 line jet pump), but I can describe the symptoms and I was hoping someone might have some ideas.

We followed the proper steps to prime the pump, the pump will take the prime and will actually build up pressure to about 20-25psi. Once it reaches that pressure the RPM actually slows down and in turn, the pressure drops off. When we open the valve in the priming hole water sprays out, but the problem is that no water comes out any of the faucets. I was thinking that maybe the water tank was so old (bladerless) that it is rusted and the flakes of rust have plugged the system, but I don't know. And I still don't understand why the pumps RPM would drop off once it reached 20-25psi, you can hear it slow down and it starts to get warm. There is also no check valve between the pump and tank which i'm not sure if that would have any effect.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-12, 12:39 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem Solved!!

It was actually two problems. The first problem is that the old tank is all rust inside and has plugged the line somewhere, so buying a new tank and replacing most of the plumbing. The second problem was that the previous owner had wired the back of the pump for 220V but did not have it connected to a 220V source. So we ran a garden hose off the pump out in to the yard, wired the pump correctly and we now have water at about 4-5 gallons per minute! Now on to replacing the plumbing... :P