how far away...digging well

Old 06-28-12, 09:37 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how far away...digging well

So, I'm going to attempt to dig my own well. I haven't found anything from the city (Winter Park) or county (orange) permit wise for wells under 4", so... first things first where should I dig it??? I'm going to do it on the side of my house that is away from anyone. On 2 sides (north & east) of my house there aren't any neighbors and won't be. How far away from my house should I dig? It would be awful if I sank my house 10 years down the road. Another thing, if it's far away running the power to the pump is going to be harder? Or just run a pipe to the pump?

Obviously newbie questions. Thanks for the advice
I used the search function and it didn't come back with anything.

Rodger

Old 06-29-12, 06:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
What will this well be used for? If it is for potable water (water used in the house) I am almost certain you have zoning and inspection requirements.

You say "dig" several times. What type of well are planning on doing? Are you really going to dig the well or are you drilling or driving a sand point?

Old 06-29-12, 07:58 AM
V
Vey
You better read those ordinances again. As I recall, Orange County requires a permit if over 40' deep. SJRMD requires a form filed if over 2", no depth requirement. Not so sure about WP, but I know there is a set back requirement and knowing WP, they very well might require a permit.

Old 06-29-12, 02:09 PM
V
Vey
A better answer is that you want it near the main power entrance since you want to have to bury as little electrical line as you can. That's why you see the wells next to the houses here. If you have to bury wire, you have to use special wire (available at Skycraft) and it will have to be at least 2 feet deep and if it is too long, then there will be too much voltage loss to run the pump properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: